This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Farha at the National Heads-Up Poker Championship
|Nickname(s)||Mister Cool, Sammy|
|Residence||Houston, Texas, U.S.|
|Born||1959 (age 59–60)|
|World Series of Poker|
Main Event finish
|World Poker Tour|
Ihsan "Sam" Farha (Arabic: إحسان فرحة; born 1959 in Beirut, Lebanon) is a professional poker player. He is best known for finishing as runner up in the World Series of Poker (WSOP) Main Event in 2003. He has won three bracelets at the WSOP in his career.
World Series of Poker
Farha's biggest tournament finish was in the 2003 World Series of Poker Main Event, where he finished second to Chris Moneymaker for $1,300,000. On TV, Farha was identified as an "investor", a job Farha said he never actually held but was rather an identity he held to convince people to start a game with him. On the second day of play, Farha lost a major pot to Barry Greenstein leaving him with only 10% of the average stack. He was considering leaving at this point and was talked into staying in the tournament by Greenstein. He lost the final hand to Moneymaker when he went all-in with a pair of jacks on the flop, only to be called by Moneymaker who had flopped bottom two pair, which held after the final river card was dealt.
In a rematch between Farha and Moneymaker a few months later, organized by PokerStars, Farha won. They played against each other again in a special "grudge match" during 2011 World Series of Poker, which was won by Moneymaker in best-of-three format.
World Series of Poker bracelets
|1996||$2,500 Pot Limit Omaha w/Rebuys||$145,000|
|2006||$5,000 Omaha Hi-Lo (8 or better)||$398,560|
|2010||$10,000 Omaha Hi-Low Split-8 or Better Championship||$488,241|
Other poker activities
- Farha has also finished in the money in the National Heads-Up Poker Championship, once for $75,000 and the other time for $125,000. He also has three cashes in World Poker Tour events, for a little over $100,000.
- Farha co-authored a book Farha on Omaha, a detailed guide on Omaha poker strategy. Farha intersperses basic strategies with his own personal strategies, so players can learn not only the game but also the style of Farha himself.
- Farha is working on a book, tentatively titled Luck is Far More Than Enough, a reality TV poker series, and a video game.
- Farha is a spokesman for Harrah's casino in Las Vegas.
- Farha has appeared on the GSN series High Stakes Poker, in seasons 1-4. Farha also made a cameo appearance in the 2007 film Lucky You.
- As of 2017, his total winnings exceed $2,800,000 in live tournament poker, although he tends to primarily play in high-stakes Omaha cash games. His eleven cashes at the WSOP account for $2,586,105 of those winnings.
- Raskin, Eric (May 22, 2013). "When We Held Kings: The oral history of the 2003 World Series of Poker, in which an amateur named Moneymaker turned $39 into $2.5 million and the poker boom was born". Grantland.
- "The 2+2 Forums Older Archives: Moneymaker vs Farha Rematch, Sept 14". archives2.twoplustwo.com.
- "WSOP NEWS: MONEYMAKER SAYS PLAY IT AGAIN SAM". www.wsop.com.
- "Sam Farha's profile on The Hendon Mob". The Hendon Mob Poker Database.
- World Series of Poker Earnings, worldseriesofpoker.com