|Born||June 29, 1978|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, producer, bassist|
|Instruments||Bass, vocals, piano, guitar, percussion|
|Labels||Epic, Fueled by Ramen|
|Associated acts||Phantom Planet, Maroon 5, Operation Aloha|
|Fender Jazz Bass
Sam Farrar (born June 29, 1978) is American musician, producer and bassist. He is the bass guitar player for the American rock band Phantom Planet, as well as a touring member of the American pop-rock band Maroon 5.
Farrar is the bass guitar player for the American rock band Phantom Planet. He also joined a band called Operation Aloha with members of Gomez and Maroon 5. He and his wife, Stephanie, have started their own music project, called Bubble and Strife.
Since 2012, Farrar is touring with Maroon 5 - as an additional band member - on guitars, occasionally on the bass guitar, percussion, additional keyboards, backing vocals, turntables and providing samples and other special effects (using the MPC). Since 2015 however, he has not actually contributed live. When Jesse Carmichael returned to the band following his hiatus, Farrar was no longer needed. Feeling sorry for Farrar, the band decided to let him continue to take the stage with them, even though he just mimes playing instruments.
He co-wrote and co-produced a few of the band's songs on almost all of their studio albums and also remixed one of their songs, which is called "Woman", on Call and Response: The Remix Album, released in 2008. On August 31, 2012 - during a show in Argentina on the Overexposed World Tour - Farrar filled-in for Mickey Madden on the bass guitar for the very first time. He subsequently filled-in for Madden on the next few shows of the tour.
His father, John Farrar, was a member of The Shadows and also carved a successful songwriting career, penning many of Olivia Newton-John's big hits as well as producing nearly every one of her albums during her most successful years. His mother, Pat Carroll, was a successful Australian pop singer in the 1960s. He attended The Buckley School.
Sam is married to Stephanie Eitel, formerly a member of the band Agent Sparks. Their daughter Vesper Pearl Farrar was born on August 6, 2009 and their son Flynn Roscoe Farrar was born on January 14, 2014.
He graduated Pitzer College.
- With Phantom Planet
- With Operation Aloha
- Operation Aloha (2009)
- With Maroon 5 (Now a touring member)
- It Won't Be Soon Before Long (2007) – production
- Call and Response: The Remix Album (2008) – remix of a song ("Woman")
- Hands All Over (2010) – songwriting ("Misery", "Stutter", "Don't Know Nothing", "Hands All Over" and "How")
- Overexposed (2012) – production and songwriting ("Ladykiller", "Fortune Teller" and "Tickets"), backing vocals, programming
- Songs About Jane – 10th Anniversary Edition (2012)
- V (2014) – backing vocals ("Unkiss Me")
- "First Listen: Maroon 5, Phantom Planet, Gomez Members Form Band". SPIN.com. 2009-01-29. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- "Eagle Ear Entertainment : Meet the Birds". Eagleear.com. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- Name Sam Farrar Location Los Angeles Bio warbears central. "Sam Farrar (samfarrar) on Twitter". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
|This article about a United States bass guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|