Sam Freeman (baseball)
Freeman with the St. Louis Cardinals
June 24, 1987 |
|June 1, 2012, for the St. Louis Cardinals|
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||3.87|
Samuel Douglas Freeman (born June 24, 1987) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is currently in the Atlanta Braves organization. He played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the St. Louis Cardinals from 2012 through 2014 and Texas Rangers in 2015.
Samuel Freeman started playing baseball at the age of four in the Carrollton Little League in Carrollton, Texas. When he was 12 years old his team won the Carrollton Pony League Championship. Freeman's pitching career started his freshman year of high school one year before making the varsity team at Hebron High School (Texas). He also played football at Hebron and was First Team all-district as a senior.
Minor league career
After his junior year of college, Freeman was selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 24th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft. He didn't sign and returned to Kansas to finish his senior year. After his senior year, he was redrafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 32nd round in the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. With the St. Louis Cardinals, he rose from the Rookie League to AA in 3 years. He was 0-2 with a 4.50 ERA in AAA with the Memphis Redbirds. and was later signed to the Cardinals 40-man roster. Freeman sustained an injury to his elbow requiring Tommy John surgery which took him out of the 2010 season.
Major League career
Freeman made his major league debut on Johan Santana's (New York Mets) no-hitter in New York on June 1, 2012. He appeared in a total of 22 games for the St. Louis Cardinals in 2012, posting a record of 0-1 with a 5.30 ERA. Following the regular season he was sent by the Cardinals to play in the Arizona Fall League.
On October 21, 2016, Freeman signed a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training with the Atlanta Braves.
The Cardinal Nation/Scout.com Top Prospect #34: 2012 The Cardinal Nation/Scout.com Springfield Relief Pitcher of the Year: 2011 Texas League All-Star: 2011 Florida State League All-Star: 2009 Scout.com Johnson City Reliever of the Year: 2008 
- Samuel Freeman Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved January 2, 2011.
- Gintonio, Jim (November 15, 2012). "Cardinals prospect Wong brings confident game to AFL". MLB.com via Cardinals team website. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Sullivan, T.R. (March 28, 2015). "Rangers acquire lefty Freeman from Cardinals". MLB.com. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- Sullivan, T.R. (April 4, 2015). "Rangers will take final roster decisions to Sunday". MLB.com. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "Rangers' 25-man roster lacking lefty reliever". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 5, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- Sullivan, T. R. (April 15, 2015). "Ranaudo's stay with Rangers a short one". MLB.com. Retrieved April 16, 2015.
- Brian Walton, "Sam Freeman Profile", 'Scout.com, August 2, 2012