Sam Gibson (footballer)
Gibson in June 2017
|Full name||Sam Gibson|
|Date of birth||27 May 1986|
|Original team(s)||Box Hill Hawks (VFL)|
|Draft||No. 37, 2007 rookie draft
No. 63, 2012 rookie draft
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||83 kg (183 lb)|
|2012–2017||North Melbourne||130 (51)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2017.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Sam Gibson (born 27 May 1986) is an Australian rules footballer with the Adelaide Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was recruited by the North Melbourne Football Club in the 2012 rookie draft, with pick 63. Gibson made his debut in round 12, 2012, against Gold Coast at Carrara Stadium.
At the end of the 2012 season Gibson signed a two-year deal with North Melbourne and was promoted to the senior list. He was told the 6th of October 2017 that his contract would not be renewed.
So far in his 130-game career, he has had only had 3 matches with less than 10 disposals, all three coming when he started as the sub.
In Round 16, 2016 Gibson played his 100th consecutive game from debut, the eighth player to do so. 
Gibson was second at North for disposals and led the side in kicks, marks and uncontested disposals. He also increased his numbers from 2013 in disposals (21.6 to 24.6), tackles (2 to 3.5), rebound 50’s (1.3 to 2.9), inside 50’s (2.6 to 2.8) and clearances (1.7 to 2.1).
At the conclusion of the 2017 season, Gibson was delisted by North Melbourne.
Gibson has a commerce/engineering degree, and worked as a civil engineer prior to joining North Melbourne.
- Landsberger, Sam (13 June 2012). "Sam Gibson elevated to North Melbourne's senior list". Herald Sun. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Gibson re-signs". 1 October 2012. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- Mangidis, Rick (12 November 2014). "2014 Review: Sam Gibson". North Melbourne Football Club. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- Bowen, Nick (6 October 2017). "Durable midfielder gets the chop from North". AFL.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Discarded Roo given surprise lifeline at Crows - AFL.com.au". afl.com.au. Retrieved 2017-10-19.
- Windley, Matt. "AFL players often get labelled meatheads who can only kick a footy, but who is the smartest player at your club?". The Advertiser. News Corporation. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sam Gibson (footballer).|
- Sam Gibson's statistics from AFL Tables