This is an old revision of this page, as edited by Rathfelder at 12:18, 9 July 2016 (removed Category:People from Central Uganda using HotCat). The present address (URL) is a permanent link to this revision, which may differ significantly from the .
Kavuma in 2015
|Born||1960 (age 59–60)|
|Alma mater||National Defence College, Kenya|
(National Strategic Studies Course
|Years active||1990 - present|
|Known for||Military Matters|
Brigadier Sam Kavuma, whose full name is Samuel Kavuma, is a Ugandan army officer. He currently serves as the Commander of the UPDF Contingent in Somalia, as part of the African Union Mission to Somalia (AMISOM). He was appointed to that position in October 2014. He replaced Brigadier Dick Olum, who served in that position from September 2013 until October 2014.
Background and education
In 2011, at the rank of Colonel, Sam Kavuma was the Commanding Officer of the UPDF 5th Division, based in Pader, Northern Uganda. On 18 September 2011, he was promoted to the rank of Brigadier. In July 2013, having recently graduated from the National Defence College, Kenya, Brigadier Kavuma was appointed as "Commander of the Regional Taskforce against the LRA in South Sudan and Central African Republic (CAR)", replacing Bigadier Dick Olum. In October 2014, Yoweri Museveni, the Commander in Chief of the UPDF, appointed Brigadier Sam Kavuma, as overall Commander of the UPDF contingent to AMISOM.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sam Kavuma.|
- Newvision, Reporter (28 October 2014). "UPDF Sends 2700 Troops to Somalia, Names New Commander". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Newvision, Reporter (25 September 2013). "Brigadier Dick Olum New UPDF Boss In Somalia". New Vision. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- NDCK, . "National Defence College Kenya: Alumni, Course - 15/2012". National Defence College, Kenya (NDCK). Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Bogere, H. (18 September 2011). "Nalweyiso, Rwakitarate Promoted To Brigadier". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Baguma, Raymond (1 July 2013). "Somalia, LRA Operation Commanders Changed". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Plaut, Martin (23 October 2014). "Africa's Forgotten Scourge: Joseph Kony And the Lord's Resistance Army". New Statesman Magazine. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Butagira, Tabu (1 December 2013). "UPDF Kills Top Kony Commander In Ambush". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Mukiibi, Ahmed (28 October 2014). "Uganda Sends Another 2,754 Soldiers To The Warzone In Somalia". Bukedde Newspaper (Luganda). Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Tumwine, Albert (29 October 2014). "Brigadier Kavuma New Amisom Head". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 29 October 2014.