Sam Liu is a Chinese American animation producer, director, storyboard artist and character designer. He is best known for directing animated superhero films at both Marvel Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation.
After attending the University of California, Santa Cruz for fine art and studying at Art Center College of Design as an illustration major, Liu got his first job in comic books drawing for Image Comics. In 1996, he moved to animation, directing Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles and Godzilla: The Series for Sony Animation. He later went to Sony Computer Entertainment of America to design characters for PlayStation, then came back to animation, winning a Daytime Emmy Award for his work on The Batman series in 2006.
Liu has since worked on many animated films for Marvel Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation, including All-Star Superman, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Hulk Vs, Planet Hulk, Thor: Son of Asgard, and co-directing with Lauren Montgomery on Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths and Batman:Year One. Liu was also the primary character designer for Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. In 2010, Liu moved back to television, directing Green Lantern: The Animated Series with Bruce Timm, and Beware the Batman with Glen Murakami.
He then directed the animated film Justice League: Gods and Monsters, its companion series Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles written by Bruce Timm, the animated film Justice League vs. Teen Titans, the animated adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke, the animated films Teen Titans: The Judas Contract and Batman and Harley Quinn, the animated adaptation of Gotham by Gaslight, and the animated film Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay.
Along with James Tucker, Liu co-directed the first-installment animated adaptation of The Death of Superman. Liu then directed the sequel animated adaptation Reign of the Supermen and the animated film Justice League vs. the Fatal Five.
- Renaud, Jeffrey (September 30, 2009). "LIU DIRECTS THE WORLD'S FINEST IN "PUBLIC ENEMIES"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- Phegley, Kiel (February 22, 2011). "Milestone Creator Dwayne McDuffie has Died". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on February 23, 2011. Retrieved July 1, 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link) (requires scrolldown)
- Marnell, Blair (February 23, 2011). "Sam Liu on 'All-Star Superman'". CraveOnline.
- Sands, Rich (January 18, 2016). "Roll Call: Meet the Cast of Justice League vs. Teen Titans". TV Insider.
- Johnson, Jim (July 11, 2015). "SDCC: TIMM ANNOUNCES "BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE" AS NEXT ANIMATED PROJECT". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
|This article relating to an American animator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|