|Mataora playing for the Mount Pritchard Mounties in 2013.|
20 October 1990 |
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
|Height||190 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||111 kg (17 st 7 lb)|
|As of 6 August 2016|
Sam Mataora (born 20 October 1990) is a Cook Island professional rugby league footballer who currently plays for the Newcastle Knights in the National Rugby League. He plays at prop and second-row. He previously played for the Canberra Raiders.
Born in Rarotonga, Cook Islands, Mataora moved to Brisbane, Australia when he was 11 years old and played his junior football for Souths Sunnybank while attending Cavendish State High School. He was then signed by the Canberra Raiders.
In Round 8 of the 2010 NRL season, Mataora made his NRL debut for the Raiders against the New Zealand Warriors. He played for the Junior Kiwis that year and was named at second-row in the 2010 NYC Team of the Year.
In 2013, Mataora played for the Cook Islands in the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.
In Round 12 of the 2015 NRL season, Mataora made his Knights debut against the New Zealand Warriors. On 27 September, he played in the Knights' 2015 New South Wales Cup Grand Final win over the Wyong Roos. On 17 October, he played for the Cook Islands against Tonga in their Asia-Pacific Qualifier match for the 2017 Rugby League World Cup
- "Sam Mataora - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- Keeble, Brett (2014-08-24). "Stone wants to hang on to young prop Sam Mataora | Newcastle Herald". Theherald.com.au. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
-  Archived 5 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "NRL 2010 - Round 8". Rugbyleagueproject.org. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- Nine NYC-winning Warriors named in Jnr Kiwis NRL.com (2010-10-06)
- Kiwis cancel test against Cook Islands. Stuff.co.nz (2011-09-28). Retrieved on 2012-06-15.
-  Archived 14 July 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- Raiders secure young gun Mataora. Sports News First (2012-05-30). Retrieved on 2012-06-15.
- "Knights sign Sam Mataora - Knights". Newcastleknights.com.au. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- "Knights sign Mataora and Vaivai - Knights". Newcastleknights.com.au. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- Keeble, Brett (2014-09-22). "Panthers likely to throw Packer a lifeline | Newcastle Herald". Theherald.com.au. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- "Late Mail: Warriors v Knights - Knights". Newcastleknights.com.au. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- "VB NSW Cup Grand Final Team List". NSWRL. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Brett Keeble. "Newcastle Knights extend Clint Newton's career with NSW Cup win over Wyong Roos". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- "Live stream: Tonga v Cook Islands". NRL.com. Retrieved 2015-10-18.