This biographical article is written like a résumé. (October 2018)
Sam Mizrahi at his Yorkville office.
|Native name||سام میزراهی|
|Born||1971 (age 46–47)|
|Residence||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Occupation||Real estate developer|
|Known for||Real estate development in Toronto and Ottawa|
|Notable work||The One|
Sam Mizrahi (Persian: سام میزراهی or سام مزراحی) is a Canadian real estate developer. He is the developer of The One development at the intersection of Yonge and Bloor streets in Toronto. He started his first condominium project, a 9-story building known as 133 Hazelton Residences, in Toronto in 2011. Three years later, in 2014, he purchased land at the southwest corner of Yonge Street and Bloor Street in Toronto for development of a very large residential tower called "The One".
Mizrahi is the president of a number of corporations, including Mizrahi Developments, Mizrahi Design Build, Mizrahi Inc. and Mizrahi Enterprises Inc. In 2015, he was named the 45th most influential person in Toronto by Toronto Life. Before becoming a developer, Mizrahi founded Dove Cleaners in 1992. The company filed for restructuring in 2007 but eventually recovered and grew to have over 100 franchises in Greater Toronto.
Mizrahi was born in Tehran in 1971 to Jewish parents, Shamoil and Ziba Mizrahi. His father was a business owner who owned and operated shops in the famous market of Tehran. The family immigrated to Canada in 1977, two years before the Iranian Revolution, when Mizrahi was six years old. Mizrahi grew up in the York Mills and Bayview neighborhood of Toronto and attended York Mills Collegiate. Mizrahi has never attended post-secondary school.
Mizrahi started his first company while in high school. Known as Unimax, the company imported and sold blank audio and video cassette tapes in Toronto and Montreal. Mizrahi grew Unimax to $18 million in revenue and then sold it four years after establishing the company.
In 1992, Mizrahi formed a dry cleaning company known as Dove Cleaners. DoveCorp, as it came to be known in 2004, operated both in retail dry cleaning and commercial linen cleaning. Mizrahi's stated his goal was to create a niche dry cleaning company that served high-end customers. He founded the company in Los Angeles and moved it to Toronto in 1994. Mizrahi listed the company on the TSX Venture Exchange in 2005 and ran it until 2007, when it filed for restructuring.
In 2008, Mizrahi founded Mizrahi Developments. Initially, Mizrahi Developments built luxury custom homes in Toronto neighborhoods that included Forest Hill, the Kingsway, Port McNicoll and Georgian Bay. Later, Mizrahi moved into building custom luxury condos, which includes projects at 133 Hazelton, 181 Davenport, 1451 Wellington and 128 Hazelton.
The One (Toronto)
Proposed as an 85-story (308 metre) residential skyscraper with 416 condominium units  and with multi-level retail and hotel, "The One" will be the tallest building in Canada and the second tallest structure after the CN Tower. Paying $300 million for the land acquisition, the total cost for the development of The One is reported to be $1 billion.
Mizrahi hired the London-based Foster and Partners as the design architect and Core Architects as the local architect, and travelled to London to help design the building. The One's design and height have gone through various revisions and includes an exoskeleton structure at its 8-storey podium, which will make up The One's retail space.
Apple is expected to be the anchor tenant of The One, and the retail portion of the tower is scheduled to open in 2023.
On April 18, 2017, The One received formal approval from the Ontario Municipal Board, which provided the go-ahead for Mizrahi Developments to begin pre-construction of The One and pre-sales for The One's condominium units. Construction of The One began on August 23, 2017, with construction expected to be completed by 2022 or 2023.
133 Hazelton (Toronto)
133 Hazelton is a 9-story building of 37 suites  located at 195 Davenport Road and 131 Hazelton Avenue in Toronto  that was completed in March 2015. 133 Hazelton includes amenities such as a theatre room, concierge service and garages that allow electrical vehicles to charge. Similar to other Mizrahi developments, suites at 133 Hazelton were custom designed  and allowed condo buyers to choose condo layout, finishes and appliances.
181 Davenport (Toronto)
181 Davenport is a 12-story building of 110 suites  located at 145 and 185 Davenport Road. The project launched in the fall of 2012, with half of the units sold within 60 days of being on the market. As part of its design, 181 Davenport offered condominiums that could be customized in detail by buyers. Condo sizes at 181 Davenport range from 700 to 1,600 square feet with prices beginning at C$400,000. 181 Davenport was completed in 2018 and is now sold out. 
1451 Wellington (Ottawa)
1451 Wellington is a 12-storey condominium of 95 units  to be built at 1445 and 1451 Wellington Street in Ottawa. 1451 Wellington is designed by Toronto architectural firm Page and Steele. In 2015, Mizrahi Developments presented their design plans for 1451 Wellington to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB). In reviewing the design, OMB required that in order for the condominium to stay at 12 storeys tall, the design needed a more landmark appearance. In December 2015, OMB reviewed revised designs for 1451 Wellington and gave the project a green light, citing that the design met the board’s landmark architecture requirement. Units at the development will have 10 foot ceilings and it will include a spa, gym, theatre, saltwater pool, concierge service and valet parking. The construction of a $1.5 million sales centre was completed and opened in March 2017. Mizrahi sold 20% of the development in the first 10 days of being on the market.
Forest Hill Jewish Centre (Toronto)
Mizrahi announced in 2014 that he would help build the "biggest newly built synagogue in Toronto in the past 45 years", which would serve as a new building for the Temmy Latner Forest Hill Jewish Centre. In 2017, the construction of the Temmy Latner building was completed. Located at 360 Spadina Road, the building is a replica of the Great Synagogue in Jasło, Poland, which was destroyed by the Nazis in World War II. A replica of the 11-meter-high Torah ark destroyed by the Nazis was built in Israel and shipped to Canada for the project. The synagogue has a library, classrooms and offers space for community events and also serves as a museum for the community. In March 2017, Mizrahi contributed to a fundraiser to help support initiatives at the new Temmy Latner building.
128 Hazelton (Toronto)
128 Hazelton is a 9-story building of 18 suites , designed by AUDAX Architecture, located across the street from 133 Hazelton. The development will be located at the former location of Hakim Optical. 128 Hazelton is the third development for Mizrahi in Yorkville, which includes his developments at 133 Hazelton and 181 Davenport. The design of 128 Hazelton involves a modern interpretation of Haussmannian architecture found in Paris. In line with other Mizrahi condo developments, Mizrahi worked with condo owners to customize each unit in the development. Condos will have winter gardens off living rooms or bedrooms.
128 Hazelton launched in 2016. By September 2016, half of the project’s units were sold, with all units sold out as of January 2017. Construction of 128 Hazelton is scheduled to begin in March 2017. Prices of the condos at 128 Hazelton range from C$1.14 million to C$11.5 million.
Mizrahi is also responsible for the development of a new detached home located at 129 Hazelton in Yorkville.
Philanthropy & Community involvement
Mizrahi is an active supporter of Israel and a member of the UJA, and has managed and participated in the annual Walk With Israel parade in Toronto. Mizrahi also co-chaired the Run With Israel event in 2015. In addition, Mizrahi has co-chaired UJA’s SixPoints Jewish Venture Philanthropy Fund, an organization that helps guide financial investment in the Jewish community. He is also on the board of directors of the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center for Holocaust Studies. In 2017, Mizrahi was elected to the BILD Board of Directors.
- "Mizrahi Developments". mizrahidevelopments.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- Pagliaro, Jennifer (September 12, 2016). "How Toronto's latest mega tower got the green light". The Star. Retrieved September 15, 2016.
- "133 Hazelton | Urban Toronto". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Mizrahi Developments buys Stollerys at Yonge and Bloor | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Sam Mizrahi - One Bloor Street West, the One-Billion Dollar Building". Dolce Vita luxury magazine. 2014-12-18. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Mink Mile makeover takes Yonge and Bloor from low-rise to luxe". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Canada's Future Tallest Building Gets Even Taller". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "80-storey tower planned for Stollerys site at Yonge and Bloor | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Ontario Home Builders' Association". ohba.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- "Federal Corporation Information - 235560-4".
- "Toronto's 50 Most Influential People: Sam Mizrahi - Toronto Life". torontolife.com. 19 November 2015.
- "Stock tanks as Toronto dry cleaner seeks court protection". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Dove Cleaners". dovecleaners.com. Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- "Federal Corporation Information - 235560-4 - Online Filing Centre - Corporations Canada - Corporations - Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada". www.ic.gc.ca. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- "S. MIZRAHI ENTERPRISES INC. - WILLOWDALE ON CANADA". companiesofcanada.com.
- "Donor Spotlight - Sunnybrook Hospital Foundation". sunnybrook.ca.
- "Sam Mizrahi Toronto, Luxury Design Builder". 2011-09-16. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- katiadmi, Katia Dmitrieva (17 June 2016). "The Condo Feud That Erupted Between an Iranian Fugitive and a Toronto Mogul" – via www.bloomberg.com.
- "Buzz Talk with Sam Mizrahi, president of Mizrahi Developments". BuzzBuzzNews. September 26, 2016. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- "An Iranian fugitive, Toronto property mogul and a deal gone awry". financialpost.com.
- "Around Town: NAC Gala with Shelley, Lang sets new record". Ottawa Citizen. 2015-09-20. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto: Book of Life". feduja.org. Ideum Communications & Design Inc.
- "DoveCorp Enterprises Inc. Profile". www.sedar.com. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "DoveCorp files for court supervision | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "DoveCorp Enterprises Inc. Obtains Court Order to Initiate Restructuring". Wired Market. July 12, 2007.
- Alex Bozikovic (March 11, 2015). "First look: New Yonge and Bloor tower would be Toronto's tallest". globeandmail.com.
- "Race is on to build the tallest Toronto highrise". The Star. July 18, 2018. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- Starr, Ryan (April 4, 2017). "Sam Mizrahi Has Big Things Planned for Toronto and Ottawa". Bisnow. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- "The One | Urban Toronto". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "THE ONE by Sam Mizrahi prepares for sales after development receives final approval from OMB". Buzz Buzz News. May 9, 2017. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "Sam Mizrahi Reveals a Few Details for Bloor and Yonge Development | Urban Toronto". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Sam Mizrahi - One Bloor Street West, the One-Billion Dollar Building". Dolce Vita luxury magazine. 2014-12-18. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Mizrahi Shows Refined 'The One' at Design Review Panel | Urban Toronto". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Is Toronto getting a new Apple Store? A rumour rundown | Toronto Life". 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- "Ground Broken for Toronto's First 'Supertall', Mizrahi's The One". Urban Toronto. August 23, 2017. Retrieved November 20, 2017.
- "For The One Developer, Sam Mizrahi, success lies in the details". Canadian Real Estate Wealth Magazine. May 10, 2017. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- Starr, Ryan (February 21, 2013). "Sam Mizrahi is a micromanager and proud of it". The Star. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- Ontario Court File Number CV-15-11187-00CL
- Wilson, Marilyn (November 15, 2016). "Developing Lifestyles: A one-on-one with Mizrahi Development's Sam Mizrahi". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "181 Davenport | Urban Toronto". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "181 Davenport".
- Willing, Jon (May 11, 2015). "OMB gives west wellington developer a second chance". Ottawa Sun. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- "Q&A with Henry Burstyn of Page + Steel IBI Group Architechs on 1451 Wellington Street in Ottawa". BuzzBuzzNews. October 17, 2016. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- Pearson, Matthew (December 4, 2015). "OMB approves landmark condo tower for Ottawa". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- Brown, Sarah (March 14, 2017). "First look! Mizrahi opens $1.5-million gallery to give buyers a taste of life at Wellington and Island Park". Ottawa Magazine. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "CTV Ottawa: High-end condos: But are there buyers?". CTV News. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Mizrahi build biggest new synagogue in decades". YongeStreet. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Jaslo". Jaslo. Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- Alberico, Rebecca (February 7, 2017). "Forest Hill Jewish Centre Completes Long Anticipated Temmy Latner Building". Dolce. Retrieved March 14, 2017.
- Sheri Shefa (10 August 2015). "Forest Hill shul gets ready to move to new building". cjnews.com. The Canadian Jewish News.
- Verity Stevenson (September 4, 2015). "Makeover: Toronto Jewish centre replicates synagogue ruined by Nazis". theglobeandmail.com.
- Alberico, Rebecca (March 22, 2017). "Forest Hill Jewish Centre Surpasses Fundraising Goal By $100,000 in 24 Hours". Dolce. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- "Site Plan Approval Pending as Work Continues at 128 Hazelton". Urban Toronto. June 13, 2018. Retrieved July 13, 2018.
- "Sam Mizrahi's 128 Hazelton is officially sold out as Mizrahi Developments prepares for construction in Yorkville". Buzz Buzz News. January 24, 2017. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "AUDAX". Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "128 Hazelton Avenue | Urban Toronto". urbantoronto.ca. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Latest Sam Mizrahi building replaces Hakim Optical with architectural marvel". Our Windsor. December 22, 2016. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Cold-Weather Condos Get Winter Gardens". Mansion Global. January 19, 2017. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "128 Hazelton boasts a modern take on a classic design in Toronto's Yorkville". Buzz Buzz News. September 30, 2016. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "This Victoria Day you have a choice: UJA's run or walk with Israel". UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. April 23, 2015. Retrieved October 31, 2016.
- "UJA Venture Philanthropy fund offers 300,000 in new funding". UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. June 24, 2011. Retrieved October 31, 2016.
- "BILD Board of Directors". Retrieved March 31, 2017.