Sam Ratulangi University
Universitas Sam Ratulangi
|Established||September 14, 1965|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Ir. Ellen Joan Kumaat, M.Sc., DEA.|
Kampus Unsrat, Bahu, 95115, Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia|
Sam Ratulangi University (Indonesian: Universitas Sam Ratulangi, abbreviated as UNSRAT) is a state university in Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. It was established on September 14, 1965. The current rector is Prof. Dr. Ir. Ellen Joan Kumaat, M.Sc., DEA.
Sam Ratulangi University has evolved from local universities starting as far back as 1954. Pinaesaan University was begun on 1 October 1954 with only the Law Faculty. Then in 1957, Permesta University was started. These two smaller universities were merged to become the University of Manado in 1958, with four faculties: Law, Economics, Letters, and Political Science.
In 1961 the Ministry of Education based on Ministerial Decree No.002/Sek/PU, recognized the newly named University of North and Central Sulawesi as a state university with seven faculties: Law, Medicine, Agriculture, Economics, Political Science, Letters and Education. After several changes and re-organizations, the university was renamed Sam Ratulangi University in 1965 based on Presidential Decree No. 277/1965. The new name was in honor of Dr. Gerungan Saul Samuel Jacob Ratulangi, renowned throughout Indonesia, but hailing from Manado, as a leader in education.
Initially, Unsrat had only seven faculties: Medicine, Agriculture, Animal Sciences, Law and Public Education, Economics, Political Science, and Engineering. In 1965, the Faculty of Letters which previously had private status was inaugurated into Unsrat. One year later, the Faculty of Fisheries was established in Tahuna. In 1982, the Faculty of Teaching and Education, Manado in Gorontalo switch to Faculty of Teaching and Education Unsrat in Gorontalo (then known as State University of Gorontalo). The postgraduate program established in 1985, followed by the Faculty of Mathematics and Science in 1998, and faculty of Public Health in 2009.
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Animal Husbandry
- Faculty of Fishery and Marines
- Faculty of Economics and Business
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Social and Political Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Mathematics and Sciences
- Faculty of Public Health
- "Kisah Penyatuan Dari Pinaesaan dan Permesta" (in Indonesian). MediaSulut.co. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "Universitas Sam Ratulangi Manado (Unsrat)" (in Indonesian). Seputar Sulut. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- Thomas 1973, p. 187
- "Fakultas dan Program Studi di Unsrat" (in Indonesian). infopmb.web.id. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- Thomas, Robert Murray (1973). A Chronicle of Indonesian Higher Education: The First Half Century, 1920-1970. Singapore: Chopmen Enterprises. p. 298.
- (in English) Official site
|This Indonesia university, college or other higher education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|