|Born||Samuel Travis Sicilia
February 1, 1986
Spokane, Washington, United States
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||66 in (170 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Spokane, Washington, United States|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Samuel Travis Sicilia (born February 1, 1986) is an American professional mixed martial artist who currently competes in the Featherweight division for Bellator MMA. A professional competitor since 2007, Sicilia also was formerly a competitor on FX's The Ultimate Fighter: Live.
Mixed martial arts career
Sicilia began training in MMA in 2007, taking his first amateur fights late in the year before turning professional shortly after. Following his first professional win he took a nearly four-year break from fighting. He then returned in 2011, and went 9-1 fighting for several regional promotions in the Northwestern United States.
The Ultimate Fighter
In February 2012, it was revealed that Sicilia was selected to be a participant on The Ultimate Fighter: Live. Sicilia defeated Dominick Cruz training partner, Erin Beach, via an eight-second KO to move into the Ultimate Fighter house, and become an official cast member.
Sicilia was selected as the second pick (third overall) by Dominick Cruz to take part on Team Cruz. In the first round of the tournament, Sicilia was selected to fight former Bellator Fighting Championships fighter, Chris Saunders. Sicilia lost the fight via split decision after two rounds. The decision was heavily disputed by many, including UFC president Dana White who claimed, "I think Sicilia got robbed of the opportunity of going to a third round, though. But great fight."
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Sicilia made his UFC debut at The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale on June 1, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada against TUF castmate, Cristiano Marcello. He won the fight via KO in the second round. After the win Sicilia expressed interest in returning to the featherweight division.
Sicilia was expected to face Godofredo Pepey on September 4, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 28. However, Pepey pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Felipe Arantes. Subsequently, Sicilia also pulled out of the bout for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by Kevin Souza.
Sicilia was expected to face promotional newcomer Doo Ho Choi on May 24, 2014 at UFC 173. However, Choi pulled out of the bout citing an injury. Sicilia instead faced promotional newcomer Aaron Phillips. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
A rescheduled bout with Doo Ho Choi was expected to take place on July 15, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 71. However, Choi pulled out of the fight in late June for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by Yaotzin Meza. Sicilia won the fight by unanimous decision.
In May 2017, Sicilia was released from the company.
Film and television
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||15 wins||8 losses|
|Loss||15–8||Gavin Tucker||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Browne||February 19, 2017||3||5:00||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Loss||15–7||Gabriel Benítez||Technical Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Johnson||September 17, 2016||2||1:20||Hidalgo, Texas, United States|
|Loss||15–6||Doo Ho Choi||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Masvidal||November 28, 2015||1||1:33||Seoul, South Korea|
|Win||15–5||Yaotzin Meza||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Mir vs. Duffee||July 15, 2015||3||5:00||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||14–5||Akira Corassani||KO (punch)||UFC on Fox: Gustafsson vs. Johnson||January 24, 2015||1||3:26||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Loss||13–5||Katsunori Kikuno||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Nelson||September 20, 2014||2||1:38||Saitama, Japan|
|Win||13–4||Aaron Phillips||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 173||May 24, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||12–4||Cole Miller||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Philippou||January 15, 2014||2||1:54||Duluth, Georgia, United States|
|Win||12–3||Godofredo Pepey||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson||November 9, 2013||1||1:42||Goiânia, Brazil|
|Loss||11–3||Maximo Blanco||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen Finale||April 13, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–2||Rony Jason||TKO (punches)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||2||4:16||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Featherweight debut.|
|Win||11–1||Cristiano Marcello||KO (knees and punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale||June 1, 2012||2||2:53||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–1||Arley George||KO (punch)||Conquest of the Cage 10||December 15, 2011||1||0:25||Airway Heights, Washington, United States|
|Win||9–1||Jared Haller||TKO (punches)||Caged Conflict||November 12, 2011||1||0:25||Canyonville, Oregon, United States|
|Win||8–1||Josiah Mitchell||KO (punch)||CageSport 16||October 1, 2011||1||0:29||Tacoma, Washington, United States|
|Win||7–1||Dominic Rivera||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Fight Night Round 16||August 13, 2011||1||2:38||Anacortes, Washington, United States|
|Win||6–1||Josh Snodgrass||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Caged Combat 4||July 29, 2011||1||1:48||Grand Ronde, Oregon, United States|
|Win||5–1||Angel Diaz||KO (punch)||Lords of the Cage 7||July 16, 2011||1||3:35||Manson, Washington, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Daniel Swain||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Lords of the Cage 6||June 10, 2011||1||2:37||Yakima, Washington, United States|
|Win||4–0||Charon Spain||Submission (neck crank)||Lords of the Cage 5||April 28, 2011||1||4:03||Airway Heights, Washington, United States|
|Win||3–0||Marc Forsyth||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Rumble on the Ridge 17||March 5, 2011||2||4:07||Snoqualmie, Washington, United States|
|Win||2–0||Jason Gybels||KO (punches)||Rumble on the Ridge 16||January 15, 2011||1||2:54||Snoqualmie, Washington, United States|
|Win||1–0||Brian Clayton||Decision (unanimous)||Combat Caged Warriors 4||September 15, 2007||3||5:00||Tri-Cities, Washington, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Professional record breakdown|
|2 matches||1 win||1 loss|
|Loss||1–1||Chris Saunders||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||April 27, 2012||2||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||1–0||Erin Beach||KO (punch)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||March 9, 2012||1||0:08||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Mir vs. Duffee". UFC.com. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- "'The Ultimate Fighter 15' cast unveiled with 32 lightweight fighters". MMAJunkie.com. February 27, 2012. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- "Mixed martial arts results, Season 15 - The Ultimate Fighter" (PDF). State of Nevada, Department of Business and Industry Athletic Commission. March 9, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Dana White: Sam Sicilia deserved a third round on 'TUF: Live'". MMAJunkie.com. April 28, 2012. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- "TUF Live Finale adds Marcello-Sicilia". MMAJunkie.com. May 23, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Rony 'Jason' Mariano Bezerra meets Sam Sicilia at UFC 153". mmajunkie.com. July 25, 2012.
- Staff (February 16, 2013). "TUF 17 Finale Adds Maximo Blanco vs. Sam Sicilia". mmaweekly.com.
- Christoffer Esping (July 12, 2013). "Godofredo ‘Pepey’ Castro möter Sam Sicilia på UFC on FOX Sports 1 #3". mmanytt.se.
- Staff (2013-07-18). "Felipe Arantes Steps in to Replace Injured Godofredo Pepey at UFC Fight Night 28 on FS1". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- Guilherme Cruz (2013-08-07). "Edimilson Souza replaces Sam Sicilia, will fight Felipe Arantes at UFC Fight Night 28". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- Ivan Raupp (2013-09-12). "Duelo entre Pepey e Sam Sicilia é remarcado para o UFC em Goiânia (Brazilian Portuguese)". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- Matt Erickson (2013-11-10). "UFC Fight Night 32 results: Sam Sicilia snaps skid, drills Godofredo Pepey". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- Mike Whitman. "UFC Returns to Georgia in January with Cole Miller-Sam Sicilia". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- Matt Erickson (2014-02-21). "Sam Sicilia meets newcomer Doo Ho Choi at UFC 173 in May". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- B Wylie (2014-04-20). "Doo Ho Choi injured, out of next months Featherweight clash with Sam Sicilia at UFC 173". fightsportasia.com. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- Damon Martin (2014-07-01). "Sam Sicilia vs Katsunori Kikuno at 145lbs at UFC Fight Night in Japan.". Twitter. Retrieved 2014-07-01.
- Lee W (2014-12-04). "Akira Corassani vs Sam Sicilia joins UFC on FOX 14 lineup". mmacrazytv.com. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-01-24). "UFC on FOX 14 results: Sam Sicilia gets big first-round KO of Akira Corassani". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-24.
- LeeLi (2015-05-06). "Choi Doo-Ho will have his next match against Sam Sicilia at UFC Fight Night 71 on July 15, 2015 in San Diego, California.". mma-in-asia.com. Retrieved 2014-05-06.
- Staff (2015-06-28). "Doo Ho Choi forced out of featured UFC Fight Night 71 prelim". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-28.
- Staff (2015-07-01). "Yaotzin Meza steps in as late replacement at UFC Fight Night 71 in San Diego". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- Dann Stupp (2015-07-15). "UFC Fight Night 71 results: Yaotzin Meza no match for Sam Sicilia". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-15.
- Staff (2015-09-01). "Doo Ho Choi vs. Sam Sicilia added to UFC Fight Night 79". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-01.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-11-28). "UFC Fight Night 79 results: Doo Ho Choi stops Sam Sicilia in 93 seconds". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- Staff (2016-07-18). "UFC Fight Night 94 adds four bouts". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- Staff (2016-09-17). "Gabriel Benítez puts Sam Sicilia to sleep with UFC Fight Night 94 submission". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- Jonathan Briggins (2017-01-29). "'Ramped up the intensity:' Hometown favourite Gavin Tucker gearing up for UFC debut in Halifax". metronews.ca. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-02-19). "UFC Fight Night 105 results: Gavin Tucker runs circles around Sam Sicilia for easy UFC debut win". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-19.
- "'TUF 15’ Veteran Sam Sicilia Hopes to Find More Consistency After Signing with Bellator MMA".
- Fight Life: MMA Documentary