Sam Simmonds (rugby union)
|Birth name||Sam Simmonds|
|Date of birth||10 November 1994|
|Place of birth||Torquay, Devon|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||102.5 kg (16 st 2 lb; 226 lb)|
|School||Ivybridge Community College|
|Rugby union career|
Samuel David Simmonds (born 10 November 1994) is an English rugby union player for Premiership Rugby side Exeter Chiefs. His position of choice is back row forward. Sam grew up in Teignmouth Devon and played for Teignmouth R.F.C for most of his youth. After graduating through their academy, Simmonds made his Exeter Chiefs debut in November 2012.
Simmonds was born in Torquay, and grew up in Teignmouth, Devon, where his father and uncle are both in the fishing industry. As a child, he wanted to be a footballer, but after earning selection to play rugby for Devon aged 14, he switched his focus to it.
Simmonds went through the Exeter Chiefs Academy, making his debut for the senior side in a Anglo-Welsh Cup game against London Welsh in November 2012. In February 2017, Simmonds played his first Premiership match for Exeter Chiefs against Wasps, earning the Man of the Match award. In the Championship semi-final against Saracens, he came on as a replacement at No.8. Chiefs were down three points towards the end of the game, when he scored the winning try from a driving maul. Then he was a replacement as Exeter Chiefs defeated Wasps to be crowned champions of the 2016-17 English Premiership.
Simmonds received his first call up to the England national rugby union team for the 2017 Autumn Internationals. On 11 November 2017 Simmonds made his England debut against Argentina in 21-8 win at Twickenham.
With Billy Vunipola and Nathan Hughes, Eddie Jones' first and second choice at No.8, unavailable through injury, Simmonds was called up to the England squad for the 2018 Six Nations Championship. He made the starting XV in England's first match of the championship against Italy, and scored two tries to help England to a 46-15 victory in Rome.
- "Exeter Chiefs Player List". www.exeterchiefs.co.uk.
- https://www.ivybridge.devon.sch.uk/page/?title=Rugby&pid=48. Missing or empty
- https://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/players/joe-simmonds. Missing or empty
- "Sam Simmonds". ESPN. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- "The fairytale continues for Sam Simmonds". 4 February 2018.
- "Sam Simmonds is making waves with the Exeter Chiefs". 16 December 2017.
- "Joe Simmonds". www.exeterchiefs.co.uk.
- "Premiership final: Wasps 20-23 Exeter Chiefs (aet)". BBC. 27 May 2017. Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "Autumn internationals: James Haskell left out of England squad". BBC Sport. 26 October 2017. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- "England Defeat Italy in NatWest 6 Nations Opener". 4 February 2018.
- "Sam Simmonds sets pulse racing but England miss chance to be bolder". 4 February 2018.
|This biographical article relating to either rugby union or rugby league football is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|