|Occupation||Novelist, Editor, Short Story Writer, Radio Host, Playwright|
|Genre||Gothic Fiction, Horror Fiction, Fantasy, Steampunk, Crime|
|Spouse||David J. Howe (m. 2015–present)|
Sam Stone is a British author of gothic, horror, fantasy, science fiction and more recently a playwright for film and stage. She is the commissioning editor of Telos Publishing imprint Telos Moonrise. Stone's debut novel Gabriele Caccini (authored as Paigan Stone) won the silver award for best horror novel 2007 with ForeWord in the USA. She was shortlisted for the August Derleth Award for Best Novel in the British Fantasy Awards for her second novel, Futile Flame. This book was also a finalist in ForeWord's Book of the Year Awards in 2009 and the third book in the series, Demon Dance, was also a finalist for the 2010 Foreword magazine Awards and won the August Derleth Award for Best Novel in the British Fantasy Awards 2011. This made her the first female writer to win the Award since Tanith Lee did so in 1980. However, after the awards were announced, there was controversy over the voting and so Stone publicly returned the Award, not wishing to be associated with something which might have been awarded erroneously. The BFS then declared that the voting was valid, but then in a later statement announced that the Best Novel would be declared a 'No Award' for that year. Stone was not consulted in this decision. She also won the Best Short Story Award in the British Fantasy Awards in the same year. In August 2012 Telos Publishing issued a press release announcing the forthcoming audio of Stone's horror collection – Zombies In New York. Telos also published her Steampunk/Horror Novella Zombies at Tiffany's.
Early life and education
The youngest of seven children, Stone was born in Manchester, England, which forms the partial backdrop of her novel Killing Kiss and is the common location of the Vampire Gene Series. She graduated with a BA (Hons) in English and Writing for Performance at University of Bolton, a PGCE at Manchester University and her MA in Creative Writing also at Bolton. Gabriele Caccini was originally written as her dissertation, and published under the pen name Paigan Stone.
Stone's novel was re-edited and re-released as Killing Kiss in September 2008 by The House of Murky Depths. Writer Tanith Lee gave a quote for the back of the book which said : "A deceptively readable date with darkness – watch your step! This book is lit for the much more discerning chick (and cock) who likes to walk in the shadows. Relax with it, but be prepared for sudden jewels and little masterpieces – and the rug to be pulled from under your feet."
In 2011 a short story collection, Zombies in New York and Other Bloody Jottings, was published by Telos Publishing. The collection was later picked up in October 2012 by AudioGo. Stone has since gone on to publish several more books with Telos Publishing, Zombies at Tiffany's (August 2012) and Kat on a Hot Tin Airship(August 2013). In 2013 it was also announced that she was involved in a Doctor Who spin-off film White Witch of Devil's End which is yet to be released.
Awards and nominations
- Gabriele Caccini: 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of Year Awards Silver Award Winner for Best Horror Novel
- Futile Flame: 2010 British Fantasy Award finalist
- Futile Flame 2009 Foreword Magazine Book of the Year Awards Finalist
- Demon Dance: 2010 ForeWord Magazine Book of Year Awards Finalist
- Demon Dance: 2011 British Fantasy Society Awards 2011 Winner – subsequently returned due to the initial controversy, but 'No Award' stated by the BFS despite the awards being cleared of any issues.
- Fool's Gold: Short fiction: 2011 British Fantasy Society Awards 2011 Winner
Novels and writing credits
- Jaded Jewel Telos Publishing - ISBN 978-1-84583-918-5
- Jinx Magic Telos Publishing - ISBN 978-1-84583-111-0
- Kat of Green Tentacles Telos Publishing - ISBN 978-1-84583-099-1
- Jinx Town Telos Publishing – ISBN 978-1-84583-096-0
- The Darkness Within – Final Cut Telos Publishing -ISBN 978-1-84583-874-4
- Kat on a Hot Tin Airship, Telos Publishing – ISBN 978-1-84583-086-1
- Gabriele Caccini - – ISBN 978-1-4259-6656-0
- Killing Kiss, Book 1 in the Vampire Gene Series – The House of Murky Depths – ISBN 978-1-906584-07-8
- Futile Flame, Book 2 in the Vampire Gene Series – The House of Murky Depths – ISBN 978-1-906584-08-5
- Demon Dance, Book 3 in the Vampire Gene Series – The House of Murky Depths – ISBN 978-1-906584-09-2
- Hateful Heart, A Vampire Gene Novel – The House of Murky Depths – ISBN 978-1-906584-27-6
- Silent Sand, A Vampire Gene Novel – The House of Murky Depths – ISBN 978-1-906584-41-2
- Kat and the Pendulum* Telos Publishing ISBN 978-1-84583-117-2
- What's Dead PussyKat, Telos Publishing ISBN 978-1-84583-098-4
- The Darkness Within, AudioGo ISBN 978-1-47135-914-9 Oct 2013 Hardback Large Print
- Zombies at Tiffany's, Telos Publishing ISBN 978-1-84583-072-4 Sep 2012
- Cthulhu and Other Monsters - Collection of Lovecraftian and other tales - Telos Publishing ISBN 978-1-84583-122-6
- Zombies in New York & Other Bloody Jottings – Collection of stories and poetry – Telos Publishing ISBN 978-1-84583-055-7
- Freya The Confessions of Dorian Gray Season 4 - Big Finish November 2015
- Zombies at Tiffany's – Spokenworld Audio October 2013
- The Darkness Within – AudioGo – October 2013.
- Zombies in New York and Other Bloody Jottings – AudioGo ISBN 978-1-47131-940-2 October 2012.
- The White Witch of Devil's End – Reeltime Pictures – Nov 2017.
- Breaking Point - Short Fiction Contribution "Return of the Old Ones" - Dark Regions Press Mar 17
- The Gold of Roatan - Short Fiction Contribution "Dread Shadows in Paradise" - Golden Goblin 2016
- Tell Me No Lies - Short Story Contribution "Heroes of Red Hook" - Golden Goblin 2016
- The Puppet Master - Short Story Contribution "Edge of Sundown" - Chaosium Dec 2016
- Fallout - Short Story Contribution "Atomic Age Cthulhu" - Chaosium May 2015
- The Curse of Guangxu - Short Story Contribution "The Mammoth Book of Sherlock Holmes Abroad" - Constable and Robinson April 2015
- A Is for Acluaphobia: The Promise - Short Fiction Contribution "Phobophobias" Western Legends Dec 2014
- The Vessel – Short Story Contribution "The Dark Rites of Cthulhu" – April Moon Books March 2014
- Sonar City – Short Story Contribution "Eldritch Chrome" – Chaosium December 2013
- The Jealous Sea – Short Story Contribution "Terror Tales of the Seaside" Gray Friar Press – Oct 2013
- The Last Resort - Short Fiction Contribution "Fear the Reaper" Crystal Lake Publishing Oct 2013
- Imogen – Short Story Contribution "Best British Fantasy" – Salt Publishing April 2013
- Urban Wolf – Short Story Contribution "Demonologia Biblica" Western Legends – Feb 2013.
- Imogen – Short Story Contribution "Siblings" – Hersham Horror Sept 2012
- Hammer Out Books of Ghosts – Short Story Contributions "Immortal Monster" and "Chillers and Breathers" – ISBN 978-1-906263-58-4 Published by Fantom Films
- Full Fathom Forty – Short Story Contribution "The Toymaker's House" – ISBN 978-0-9538681-3-1 – published by The British Fantasy Society
- BFS Journal – Short Story Contribution "Walking the Dead" – published by The British Fantasy Society
- The Bitten Word – Short Story Contribution "Fool's Gold" – NewCon Press ISBN 978-1-907069-07-9
- As Editor with David J. Howe – Hines Sight – Autobiography of Actor Frazer Hines – ISBN 978-1-84583-998-7
- As Editor – Rules of Duel by Graham Masterton – Telos Publishing – ISBN 978-1-84583-054-0
- As Editor – Dark Horizons, part of the BFS Journal, Winter 2010 – published by The British Fantasy Society
- As Editor – Talespinning by David J. Howe Telos Publishing, Sep 2011 – ISBN 978-1-84583-058-8
- Telos Publishing: Zombies in New York and Other Bloody Jottings, Kat Lighfoot Mysteries, Jinx Chronicles, The Vampire Gene Series, The Darkness Within: Final Cut, Cthulhu and Other Monsters
- Wordfire Press: Posing for Picasso
- Audible: Zombies in New York and Other Bloody Jottings, The Darkness Within
- Spokenworld Audio Zombies At Tiffany's
- Constable and Robinson The Mammoth Book of Sherlock Holmes Abroad
- PS Publishing Through A Mythos Darkly
- Golden Goblin Dread Shadows in Paradise, Heroes of Red Hook
- Dark Regions Press Return of the Old Ones
- Big Finish Productions The Confessions of Dorian Gray
- Chaosium Edge of Sundown, Eldritch Chrome, Atomic Age Cthulhu
- The House of Murky Depths: Killing Kiss, Futile Flame, Demon Dance, Hateful Heart, Silent Sand
- Telos News