19 April 1989 |
|British Touring Car Championship career|
|Current team||Team JCT600 with GardX|
|Former teams||Triple 8 Race Engineering|
|Best finish||6th in 2013|
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Renault Clio Cup
|2010–11||BRDC Rising Star|
Samuel Lewis "Sam" Tordoff (born 19 April 1989) is a British racing car driver. He has previously driven in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB but currently competes in the British Touring Car Championship for Team JCT600 with GardX. He is the grandson of rally driver Jack Tordoff.
- 1 Racing career
- 2 Racing record
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Renault Clio Cup UK
In February 2009, Bradford-born Tordoff joined the Renault Clio Cup UK grid with Total Control Racing. He took his first podium finish in the Saturday race at Snetterton with second place behind Alex MacDowall, then followed this up by taking his maiden win with a lights to flag victory ahead of championship leader Phil Glew. Tordoff finished eighth in his first season of car racing.
He continued in the Clio Cup in 2010, where he finished on the podium at 12 out of the 18 races he competed in. Tordoff took his first win of the year in race two at Snetterton in almost the same circumstances as his first, the previous season. He finished third in the championship having missed the final round at Brands Hatch to race in the British Touring Car Championship, becoming the fifth Clio Cup graduate to compete in the BTCC, in 2010.
British Touring Car Championship
Triple 8 Race Engineering (2010; 2013–2014)
He made his British Touring Car Championship debut competing in the final meeting of the 2010 season at Brands Hatch, driving a Vauxhall Vectra for Uniq Racing with Triple Eight. In the final round he placed 10th, scoring one championship point.
Tordoff returned to the BTCC in 2013 driving for Triple 8 Race Engineering, now branded as MG KX Momentum Racing where he raced alongside Jason Plato. He claimed his first podium finish in the BTCC in the third race of the season at Brands Hatch, finishing third behind the Team Dynamics Hondas. He secured his first BTCC pole position at Snetterton, leading an MG 1–2 ahead of Plato. He finished the year placed 6th in the Drivers Standings. Tordoff remained with triple 8 for 2014 scoring another win at Donington Park. He ended that year 7th in the Drivers Standings.
West Surrey Racing (2015)
It was announced on 10 December 2014 that Tordoff had signed for the West Surrey Racing team for the 2015 BTCC Championship. He took his first win for the team at the round of Oulton Park.
Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain
In 2011 it was announced that he would be driving for Team Parker Racing in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB. He had a best result of third in the Porsche Carrera World Cup race at the Nürburgring and he won a set of tyres at Rockingham, courtesy of series sponsor Michelin. Tordoff finished the championship seventh in his first season.
Tordoff stayed at Team Parker Racing for 2012 where he would race alongside fellow Yorkshire racers Richard Plant and Daniel Lloyd. He took his first win in the series at Oulton Park having started from pole position and resisted race long pressure from championship leader Michael Meadows. He went on to win both races at Snetterton and won the season finale at Brands Hatch; he finished third in the championship, 46 points behind champion Meadows and 8 points behind second placed Ben Barker.
Tordoff was one of seven drivers from the Porsche Carrera Cup GB to compete in the Silverstone round of the Porsche Supercup in 2011. He competed in the race once again in 2012, finishing 12th as best of the Great Britain championship entrants.
Complete British Touring Car Championship results
(key) (Races in bold indicate pole position – 1 point awarded in first race; races in italics indicate fastest lap – 1 point awarded all races; * signifies that driver lead race for at least one lap – 1 point awarded all races)
* Season in progress.
- "Total Control Racing Among Four Additions To Clio Cup Grid". Renaultsport UK (Renault Sport). 5 February 2009. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "Rookie racer Tordoff secures maiden win at Snetterton". Renaultsport UK (Renault Sport). 3 August 2009. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "Tordoff finally secures first win after almost a year". Renaultsport UK. Renault Sport. 9 August 2010. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- Hudson, Neil (23 September 2010). "Tordoff to drive second Triple Eight Vectra at Brands". TouringCarTimes (Mediaempire Stockholm AB). Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- Gallagher, Ian (31 January 2013). "Sam Tordoff confirmed at MG with Jason Plato". TouringCarTimes (Mediaempire Stockholm AB). Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Tordoff wins Michelin award in Carrera Cup at Rockingham". Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain. Porsche UK. 17 September 2011. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "Yorkshire trio races for Porsche Carrera title". Harrogate News (Web Hosting UK Ltd.). 30 March 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "Sam Tordoff scores first victory in Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Oulton Park". Escapement (Escapement.uk.com Limited). 12 June 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "Silverstone Supercup opportunity for Carrera Cup GB racers". Porsche Supercup. Porsche AG. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "Tordoff finishes highest wildcard at Silverstone Supercup round". BTCCweekends (Just Host). 12 July 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2012.