Sam Young (American football)
Young with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2014
|No. 79 – Miami Dolphins|
June 24, 1987 |
Coral Springs, Florida
|Height:||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Weight:||316 lb (143 kg)|
|High school:||Fort Lauderdale (FL) Aquinas|
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 6 / Pick: 179|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2017|
|Player stats at PFR|
Sam Young (born June 24, 1987) is an American football offensive tackle for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Notre Dame.
Young went to Pine Crest School and St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. At Pine Crest School he played tight end in football, center on junior varsity basketball, and competed on the weight lifting team. During his junior and senior years, he did not allow a sack. In 2005, he won the 2005 Florida Gatorade Player of the Year. Following his stellar high school football career, Young was invited to play in the 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. He also participated in Discus while attending STA, and won state title in shot put and holds STA record.
Young made Notre Dame history becoming the first true freshman to start the season opener on the offensive line since freshmen became eligible in 1972. He was named 2006 first team Freshman All-American by The Sporting News. In total, Young made 50 consecutive starts on the offensive line (a school record at the time), mostly at left tackle.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 8 in
|34 1⁄2 in
|10 1⁄8 in
|5.24 s||7.73 s||29.5 in
|8 ft 08 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Young was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the sixth round (179th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He was active in three games of the 2010 season, contributing on special teams. He had a disappointing training camp in 2011, and was reportedly beaten often by defenders in practice. He was waived on September 5.
On October 8, 2013, the Jacksonville Jaguars claimed him off waivers and was active in 11 games, playing mainly on special teams. The next year, he played in 9 games, with 6 starts at right tackle and was declared inactive in 6 contests.
On December 28, 2016, Young signed a one-year $1.15 million contract extension with the Dolphins through the 2017 season.
- "Player Bio: Sam Young - University of Notre Dame: Official Site for Notre Dame Athletics". Retrieved 2015-09-06.
- "Sam Young Combine Profile", NFL.com, retrieved February 27, 2010.
- "Cowboys' future focus: RT Sam Young". Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- Rainer Sabin (2011-09-06). "Bills claim former Cowboys OT Sam Young". Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- "Cowboys release Sam Young". Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- "Bills claim Sam Young off waivers". Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- "Jaguars free agents: Sam Young". Retrieved February 19, 2016.
- Poupari, Alain. "Dolphins Make Moves To Get Roster To 53". MiamiDolphins.com.
- "PRESS RELEASE: Dolphins Add Chekwa And Young". MiamiDolphins.com. October 11, 2016.
- Alper, Josh (December 28, 2016). "Dolphins extend Sam Young through 2017". ProFootballTalk.NBCSports.com.