Barry in 2015
|Born||1981 or 1982 (age 37–38) |
|Known for||Politics reporter for CNN and Editor of Glamour|
Samantha Barry is the current editor in chief for Glamour magazine.
Barry was born in Ballincollig, in Cork to Máiréad and David Barry, and graduated with an Arts degree in English and Psychology from University College Cork and an MA in Journalism from Dublin City University.
Starting with The University Examiner, Barry has worked as a reporter and journalist for RTÉ, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Newstalk, the BBC and CNN, where she was an executive producer for CNN Worldwide.
Barry led news coverage from the 2016 presidential election and interviewed all the candidates. Led by Barry, the CNN coverage of received the first ever Edward R. Murrow Award for excellence in social media and a Webby Award recognizing the same 2016 campaign work. Barry has also worked as a guest lecturer at Yale University and is a Sulzberger Fellow at Columbia University.
In 2018 she was announced as the editor of the US edition of women's magazine Glamour. She is the eighth editor of the title since it was founded in 1939. Barry is the first person never to have worked in print media before leading a Condé Nast magazine. Under Barry's editorship, the US edition of the magazine ceased publishing a monthly print edition to focus on a digital-first model. The January 2019 issue was the last monthly print issue of US Glamour.
- Kelly, Keith (8 January 2018). "Condé Nast picks social media guru to run Glamour". New York Post. New York. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Samantha Barry". ucc.ie. 21 November 2016. Archived from the original on 8 November 2017. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Samantha Barry appointed editor of Glamour magazine". RTÉ. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- O'Donoghue, Niamh (9 January 2018). "4 Things To Know About New Irish Editor-In-Chief Of Glamour Magazine Samantha Barry". image.ie. Archived from the original on 17 March 2018. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Irish woman Samantha Barry announced as editor-in-chief of Conde Nast's Glamour". Independent.ie. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Get To Know Samantha Barry, Glamour's New Editor-in-Chief – The Gloss Magazine". The gloss. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Irish journalist named new editor of Glamour magazine · TheJournal.ie". Thejournal.ie. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Meet Samantha Barry, the new Irish editor-in-chief of 'Glamour'". The Irish Times. 8 January 2018. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Condé Nast Chooses a Digital-First Editor to Run Glamour". The New York Times. 8 January 2018. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Social Queens: The Irish women leading the digital media revolution". Independent. 16 March 2018. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Glamour magazine US goes online only". 21 November 2018. Retrieved 4 March 2019.