|Narrated by||Christina Applegate|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||35 (list of episodes)|
Jerram A. Swartz
|Production location(s)||Los Angeles, California|
|Running time||22 minutes|
Donald Todd Productions|
Brillstein Entertainment Partners
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original release||October 15, 2007– July 23, 2009|
Samantha Who? is an American television sitcom that originally aired on ABC from October 15, 2007 to July 23, 2009. The series was created by Cecelia Ahern and Don Todd, who also served as producers. Although highly rated during its first season, the sitcom lost momentum and viewers throughout its second season, and ABC canceled the show in May 2009.
The series was produced by Brillstein Entertainment Partners and Touchstone Television partnered with ABC Studios and executive produced by Christina Applegate, Donald Todd, Peter Traugott, Bob Kushell, Alex Reid, and Marco Pennette.
The show centered on Samantha Newly (Christina Applegate), a 30-year-old vice president of a real estate firm who develops retrograde amnesia after a hit and run accident. After awakening, she progressively realizes to her dismay that she had been selfish and unlikable before her accident, and therefore sets out to make amends and become a better daughter to her somewhat dysfunctional parents, Howard (Kevin Dunn) and Regina (Jean Smart), a better friend to self-centered Andrea (Jennifer Esposito), and needy but well-meaning Dena (Melissa McCarthy), and a better on-again, off-again girlfriend to her roommate and ex-boyfriend, Todd (Barry Watson). Wryly observing her transformation from "Old Sam" to "New Sam" is Samantha's bemused doorman, Frank (Tim Russ).
The show was originally named Sam I Am until ABC renamed it Samantha Be Good due to conflicts with the estate of Dr. Seuss. TV Guide later reported that ABC had changed the title of the series once more to Samantha Who?. Early television promotions for the series, playing off of the concept of its lead character's amnesia, appeared without stating any specific title. The lack of stated title (with a question mark shown instead) was attributed in promotions to Applegate's character not remembering the name of the series.
The series premiered on October 15, 2007 at 9:30PM Eastern/8:30PM Central and moved to 9:00PM Eastern/8:00PM Central on Mondays on November 26, 2007.
On October 25, 2007, ABC ordered six additional scripts for Samantha Who?.
On October 31, 2008, ABC ordered seven more episodes of Samantha Who? bringing the total number of episodes for the show's second season to 20. The announcement came in advance of mandated budget cuts at ABC Studios, which produces the series.
The series, which was filmed in the single-camera format, went on hiatus during the 2008–2009 television season and returned in a new timeslot on Thursday, March 26, 2009, following In the Motherhood before being pulled.
On May 18, 2009, ABC announced that they would not be renewing Samantha Who? for a third season. ABC burned off the final episodes on Thursday nights at 8:00PM Eastern/7:00PM Central from June 25, 2009 until the finale on July 23, 2009 (with additional episodes airing Thursday, July 2 and Thursday, July 9 at 8:30PM Eastern/7:30PM Central).
The Pop network (formerly TV Guide Network) began rebroadcasting the series in September 2011.
Cast and characters
- Christina Applegate as Samantha "Sam" Newly
- Jennifer Esposito as Andrea Belladonna
- Kevin Dunn as Howard Newly
- Melissa McCarthy as Dena
- Tim Russ as Frank
- Barry Watson as Todd Deepler
- Jean Smart as Regina Newly
U.S. television ratings
In the following summary, "rating" is the percentage of all households with televisions that tuned to the show, and "share" is the percentage of all televisions in use at that time that are tuned in. "18-49" is the percentage of all adults aged 18–49 tuned into the show. "Viewers" are the number of viewers, in millions, watching at the time. "Rank"; how well the show did compared to other TV shows aired that week.
† This episode started at 9:45PM, so the ratings are estimated and are the average of the 9:30 half-hour and the 10:00 half-hour.
- For the first six episodes of Samantha Who?, the show held the title of highest rated sitcom, a title which was held consistently by Two and a Half Men for the previous two television seasons.
- Samantha Who? was, for its first seven episodes, the highest rated sitcom which debuted during the 2007-2008 television season.
Without a strong lead-in (provided by Dancing with the Stars in its first season) and paired with another failing ABC comedy In the Motherhood, Samantha Who?'s ratings dropped to lows of around 4 million in its second season.
Seasonal rankings (based on average total viewers per episode) of Samantha Who? on ABC:
Note: Each U.S. network television season starts in late September (sometimes in early October) and ends in late May, or occasionally early June, which coincides with the completion of May sweeps.
|Season||Episodes||Timeslot (EST)||Premiere||Finale||TV season||Rank||Viewers
|1||15||Monday 9:30 P.M. (October 15, 2007 - November 19, 2007)
Monday 9:00 P.M. (November 26, 2007 - December 10, 2007)
Monday 9:30 P.M. (April 7, 2008 - May 12, 2008)
|October 15, 2007||May 12, 2008||2007–2008||#26||11.82||TBA|
|2||20||Monday 9:30 P.M. (October 13, 2008 - December 1, 2008)
Thursday 8:30 P.M.(March 26, 2009 - July 23, 2009)
Thursday 8:00 P.M. (June 25, 2009 – July 23, 2009)
|October 13, 2008||2008–2009||#54||8.9||TBA|
Samantha Who? first aired against fellow freshmen show K-Ville on FOX. It also aired against Rules of Engagement on CBS, Heroes on NBC and The Game on The CW—each in their second season. This was for the first six episodes Samantha Who? aired at 9:30pm.
On November 26, 2007, Samantha Who? shifted to the 9pm timeslot. Its competition shifted from The Game to Girlfriends on The CW and from Rules of Engagement to Two and a Half Men on CBS. Sophomore sitcom Notes from the Underbelly assumed the 9:30pm position.
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment released the entire series on DVD in Region 1. They also released season 1 on DVD in Region 2 & Region 4 (Australia). Both seasons contain several special features including bloopers and deleted scenes. The Region 1 releases have been discontinued and are out of print.
On February 9, 2012, it was announced that Lionsgate Home Entertainment had acquired the rights to the series and plan on re-releasing it. Seasons 1 and 2 will be re-released on May 1, 2012.
|DVD name||Ep #||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4||Special Features|
|The Complete First Season||15||September 23, 2008
May 1, 2012 (re-released)
|May 3, 2010||February 12, 2009||Deleted Scenes|
Comments in Audio
|The Complete Second and Final Season||20||August 25, 2009
May 1, 2012 (re-released)
|N/A||N/A||Kit for Beginners|
Conversation of Girls
Set Tour with Christina Applegate
Moment "Dance" Christina
Awards and nominations
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In the United Kingdom the series was broadcast on E4 and Comedy Central. The series aired in Ireland on TG4. In New Zealand the series ran on TV 2, and in Australia the series aired on Seven Network and 7Two. The series later reran on Pop (TV channel) and currently reruns in Logo TV.
- Samantha Who? at The Futon Critic. Retrieved June 13, 2007.
- Sullivan, Brian Ford (2007-05-11). "ABC ADDS 10 NEWCOMERS, RENEWS 'NOTES,' 'ROAD'". The Futon Critic. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- Adalian, Josef (2007-06-18). "Seuss gives ABC sitcom new name". Variety. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- The Futon Critic Staff (2007-06-19). "ABC RENAMES 'SAM I AM,' EYES FRIDAY CHANGES". The Futon Critic. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- Webb Mitovich, Matt (2006-06-26). "Christina Applegate Series Now Hears a Who?". Archived from the original on 2008-04-15. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2007-10-25). "'Samantha' among who's who of fall TV". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2007-10-31). "'Samantha' gets full-season pickup". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on September 4, 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-30.
- "ABC Announces Scripted Show Renewals". archive.org. 14 February 2008. Archived from the original on 14 February 2008.
- Schneider, Michael (October 31, 2008). "ABC orders full season of 'Samantha'". Variety.
- "ABC mandates production cuts". variety.com.
- ABC Cancels "Samantha Who?", Variety.com, May 18, 2009
- "Breaking News - ABC to Revisit "Motherhood" in June - TheFutonCritic.com". www.thefutoncritic.com.
- ABC Drops "Motherhood", Shuffles Sundays, The Futon Critic, June 30, 2009
- "In the Motherhood": ABC Yanks Cancelled Sitcom Again, TV Series Finale, July 1, 2009
- "Your One Stop Shop For All Things Entertainment". Archived from the original on 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- ABC Medianet Archived December 16, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Virgin" Press Release at The Futon Critic
- Andreeva, Nellie (2007-10-25). "New schedule for freshman 'Samantha'". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 2007-10-26. Retrieved 2007-12-01.
- "2005-06 primetime wrap; Series Programming Results". The Hollywood Reporter. 2006-05-26. Archived from the original on 2007-10-29. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- "2006-07 primetime wrap; Series Programming Results". The Hollywood Reporter. 2007-05-25. Archived from the original on 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- "Season Program Rankings from 09/24/07 through 05/25/08". ABC Medianet. May 28, 2008. Archived from the original on April 13, 2010. Retrieved February 12, 2010.
- "Season Program Rankings from 09/22/08 through 05/17/09". ABC Medianet. May 19, 2009. Archived from the original on March 14, 2012. Retrieved February 12, 2010.
- "TVShowsOnDVD.com - Goodbye". www.tvshowsondvd.com. Archived from the original on 2012-04-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-08-20. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-08-19. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Samantha Who? Season 1". 3 May 2010 – via Amazon.
- http://www.dvdorchard.com.au/ProductS1TV.asp?PND=168250&CS=1&Qno=TBCTIC0TPC0&NoCache=0.6572992[permanent dead link]
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Samantha Who?|