|• Body||Samastipur Municipal corporation|
|• Additional official||English|
|• Regional||Maithili and Begushoraiya Maithili|
|Time zone||UTC+5.30 (IST)|
|Area code||STD Code 06274|
Samastipur is a city and a municipal corporation (nagar nigam) in Bihar, India. It is the headquarter of Samastipur district and comes under Darbhanga division. The Budhi Gandak river flows through the town. It is one of the five railway divisions of ECR, Hajipur. The Samastipur junction is one of the busiest station in North Bihar after Patna and Katihar.
As of 2011 Indian Census, Samastipur had a total population of 62,935, of which 33,025 were males and 29,910 were females. Population within the age group of 0 to 6 years was 8,252. The total number of literates in Samastipur was 46,416, which constituted 73.8% of the population with male literacy of 77.2% and female literacy of 69.9%. The effective literacy rate of 7+ population of Samastipur was 84.9%, of which male literacy rate was 88.9% and female literacy rate was 80.4%. The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes population was 9,219 and 249 respectively. Samastipur had 12062 households in 2011.
The Dr. Rajendra Prasad Central Agriculture University, is located near the town, in Pusa. This university was constructed in 1970 near the ruins of Pusa Institute which was the Indian Agricultural Research Institute built during the British regime.
- Bali Ram Bhagat, 6th Speaker of Lok Sabha, Governor of Rajasthan, Governor of Himachal Pradesh and former Member of parliament
- Gajendra Prasad Himanshu, politician
- Syed Shahnawaz Hussain, Indian politician, national spokesperson of Bharatiya Janata Party and a cabinet minister
- N. Mandal, Indian film director, editor and producer
- Anukul Roy, Indian cricketer
- Shilpa Singh, Indian singer, dancer, model and beauty pageant titleholder
- Vivekanand Sinha , Inspector General of Police, Bastar range, Chhattisgarh.
- Karpoori Thakur, politician and independence activist
- "Census of India: Samastipur". www.censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 25 December 2019.
- "52nd Report of the Commissioner for Linguistic Minorities in India" (PDF). nclm.nic.in. Ministry of Minority Affairs. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 May 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2019.
- Baranwal, Jigyasu. "Trains to SPJ/Samastipur Junction Station - 162 Arrivals ECR/East Central Zone - Railway Enquiry". indiarailinfo.com. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "IGNOU-RC-Darbhanga - StudyCentres - Annexure 1_Details of Active Learner Support Centres (LSCs) 27 NOV 19". rcdarbhanga.ignou.ac.in. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "बलिराम भगत को जब अपनों ने हराया". Hindustan (in Hindi). 22 March 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2021.