|Alternative names||Sambal goreng udang, balado udang|
|Place of origin||Indonesia|
|Main ingredients||Shrimp (peeled or unpeeled) in hot and spicy sambal spice mixture with a lot of red chili pepper|
Sambal shrimp (Indonesian: sambal goreng udang or Minangkabau: balado udang) is a hot and spicy shrimp dish commonly found in Indonesian cuisine. It is made of shrimp, either peeled or unpeeled, stir-fried in hot and spicy sambal paste in small amount of cooking oil.
The bumbu (spice mixture) used in sambal shrimp includes shallot, garlic, candlenut, ginger, shrimp paste, turmeric, galangal, red chili pepper, all mixed and ground with salt and water. Also add bruised lemongrass, daun salam (Indonesian bayleaf), citrus leaf, all stir fried in cooking oil (usually palm or coconut oil) until the spice mixture releases its aroma. Then cleaned shrimp, either ways can be prepared peeled or unpeeled, are stir fried together until it is cooked. Additional ingredient might be added, such as green beans and quail eggs, fried diced potato, tofu, or green stinky beans.
Shrimp cooked in sambal chili paste is quite common in various cooking traditions of Indonesia; from Minangkabau (Padang) to Malay, Sundanese, Javanese, Balinese and Manado. In Minangkabau tradition it is known as cibalado udang and considered as one variant of spicy balado dish.
- Soewitomo, Sisca (2015-09-10). Popular Indonesia Cuisine: Over 100 Recipes (Edisi Bahasa Inggris). Gramedia Pustaka Utama. ISBN 9786020315416.
- "Shrimp and Potatoes in Sambal (Sambal Goreng Kentang Udang) Recipe". NYT Cooking. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- "Resep Akhir Pekan: Sambal Goreng Udang Pedas untuk Berbuka". Tabloidbintang.com. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "82 resep sambal goreng udang kentang pete enak dan sederhana". Cookpad (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Balado Udang - Shrimps in Spicy Chili Sauce - Daily Cooking Quest". Daily Cooking Quest. 2015-10-29. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- Sambal Goreng Udang recipe video by Tastemade
- Sambal shrimp recipe
- Sambal Tumis Udang (Sauteed Chilli Shrimp) recipe
|This food-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|