Same Kind of Different as Me (film)
|Same Kind of Different as Me|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Michael Carney|
|Based on||Same Kind of Different as Me|
by Denver Moore
|Music by||John Paesano|
|Edited by||Eric A. Sears|
|Distributed by||Pure Flix Entertainment|
|Box office||$6.4 million|
Same Kind of Different as Me is a 2017 American Christian drama film directed by Michael Carney, in his feature directorial debut, and written by Ron Hall, Alexander Foard and Michael Carney. It is based on the 2006 book of the same name by Ron Hall, Denver Moore and Lynn Vincent. The film stars Greg Kinnear, Renée Zellweger, Djimon Hounsou, Olivia Holt, Jon Voight, and Stephanie Leigh Schlund. The film was released on October 20, 2017, by Pure Flix Entertainment.
After Ron Hall (Greg Kinnear), a selfish successful art dealer, admits to cheating on her, his wife Deborah (Renée Zellweger) forces him to volunteer at a homeless shelter. There Denver Moore (Djimon Hounsou), a homeless ex-convict, helps him to change his life.
- Greg Kinnear as Ron Hall
- Renée Zellweger as Deborah Hall
- Djimon Hounsou as Denver Moore
- Jon Voight as Earl Hall
- Olivia Holt as Regan Hall
- Austin Filson as Carson Hall
- Geraldine Singer as Tommye Hall
- Daniel Zacapa as Julio Larraz
- Dana Gourrier as Willow
- Thomas Francis Murphy as Chef Jim
- Ann Mahoney as Clara
- Theodus Crane as Tiny
- David Dino Wells Jr. as Mister
- Pedro Lucero as Killer
- Mary Hunter Johnston as Little Girl
- Lucky Johnson as Thug (Clara's Pimp)
- David Jensen as Homeless Man #1
- Trey McGriff as Homeless Man #2
- Michael Southworth as Homeless Man #3
- Ashton Cotton as Denver (Boy)
- Bradford Whalen as Denver (Young Adult)
- Tonea Stewart as Big Mama
- Stephanie Leigh Schlund as C.C.
- Lara Grice as Bobby's mother
- Mykel Shannon Jenkins as B.B.
- Nyles Julian Steele as Chook
- David Jensen as Bum
- Kenda Benwar as Janet
- Ty Parker as Bobby
- John Newberg as Hank
- Calvin Williams as Uncle James
On October 20, 2014, Renée Zellweger joined the cast to play Deborah. On October 28, 2014, Greg Kinnear, Djimon Hounsou and Jon Voight joined the cast. On November 7, 2014, Olivia Holt joined the cast to play Regan Hall. Principal photography began on October 27, 2014, and ended on December 19, 2014.
The film was originally scheduled to be released on April 29, 2016, but was pushed back to February 3, 2017. On December 30, 2016, the film was pushed back to October 20, 2017, and was acquired by Pure Flix Entertainment. The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray on February 20, 2018.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 33% based on nine reviews and an average rating of 5.3/10. On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating, the film has a score of 47 out of 100 based on seven critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Film releases". Variety Insight. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- Keith Uhlich (2017-10-20). "'Same Kind of Different as Me' Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-10-21.
- Eriq Gardner (June 16, 2016). "Paramount Beats Musicians Guild in Lawsuit Over Outsourcing Film Scores". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 23, 2017.
- "Same Kind of Different as Me (2017)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- Yamato, Jen (2014-10-20). "Renee Zellweger Cast In 'Same Kind Of Different As Me'". Deadline. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- Ford, Rebecca (2014-10-28). "Greg Kinnear, Djimon Hounsou and Jon Voight Join Faith-Based Drama 'Same Kind of Different as Me'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- Ford, Rebecca (2014-11-07). "Disney Channel Star Olivia Holt Joins 'Same Kind of Different as Me'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- "Renee Zellweger begins shooting 'Same Kind of Different as Me'". LA Times. 2014-10-28. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- Staff (2014-12-19). "On the Set for 12/19/14: Emilia Clarke Wraps Voice from the Stone, Idris Elba Finishes Up Bastille Day & More". SSN Insider. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- Dave McNary (2015-03-20). "Pierce Brosnan's 'Moon and the Sun' Pulled from Schedule". Variety. Retrieved 2015-04-11.
- Jeff Sneider (2016-03-18). "Paramount Pushes Renee Zellweger, Greg Kinnear Drama". Thewrap.com. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "'Same Kind of Different as Me' Exits Paramount Slate, Moves To Pure Flix With New Release Date". Deadline.com. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- Bentley, Rick (February 18, 2018). "New on DVD: 'Girl Without Hands' magnificent visual treat". Telegram & Gazette. Tribune News Service. Retrieved February 20, 2018.
- "Same Kind of Different as Me (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved June 4, 2018.
- "Same Kind of Different as Me Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 4, 2018.