Samenwerkingsverband Regio Eindhoven
The Samenwerkingsverband Regio Eindhoven (SRE; translation Cooperative union for the Region of Eindhoven) is a regional governmental agency for the city region of Eindhoven, Netherlands. The SRE comprises 21 municipalities in the Eindhoven agglomeration, with a total area of 1,457.81 square kilometers. The region has nearly three quarters of a million inhabitants and some 35.000 companies (employing over 330.000 people).
The SRE is a city region, which means that it is primarily a cooperation of municipalities (it also means that the SRE mandatorily carries out certain tasks for the municipalities, in the form of a joint administration). Final control over the SRE lies with the Regional Council (Dutch: Regioraad), which consists of representatives of the participating municipalities (either mayors or aldermen). The Council sets the general parameters and long-term guidelines within which the SRE operates. The Council also provides overview of the Daily Management, which is responsible for the daily running of the SRE.
The SRE is involved with many areas of administration that are cross-border concerns for the member municipalities. In order to facilitate this, the responsible aldermen for these areas meet six times a year in a meeting.
The Daily Management runs three separate services of the SRE:
- The SRE (the service which carries out the joint administration)
- The SRE Environmental Service, which assists the municipalities in environmental and regional planning
- The Regional Historic Center of Eindhoven
The Environmental Service is the largest of the SRE bodies.
In the area of administration, the SRE has three types of responsibilities:
- City region responsibilities. These are responsibilities that have been appointed to the SRE by mandate of being a city region (that is, the law delegates them to the SRE). Examples of these responsibilities are contracting public transportation and child care. Most of these responsibilities have been moved to the SRE from the province.
- Responsibilities as an extension to municipal administration. These are responsibilities that all member municipalities have delegated jointly to the SRE.
- Responsibilities that one or more member municipalities have unilaterally delegated to the SRE.
The City and Regional Transportation in North-Brabant is not entirely the legidomain of the province of North-Brabant. Being a city region, SRE is the concession granter for public transportation in the southeast of the province. The current concession holder is Hermes. The SRE also commissioned the creation of the Phileas, a guided bus which runs on the rapid transit lines to Meerhoven, Eindhoven Airport and Veldhoven.
The Eindhoven Agglomeration
- Reusel-De Mierden
- Son en Breugel
- "Hermes blijft de vervoerder voor de regio Eindhoven–Helmond!" (Hermes press release 28-01-2008)