|Born||Samia Maxine Ghadie
13 July 1982
Eccles, Greater Manchester, England
|Television||Coronation Street (2000–present)
Dancing On Ice (2013)
|Spouse(s)||Matt Smith (m. 2005; div. 2011)
Sylvain Longchambon (m. 2016)
|Parent(s)||Patsy Ghadie and Joseph Ghadie (d. 2009)|
Samia Maxine Longchambon (née Ghadie, previously Smith; born 13 July 1982) is a British actress. She is best known for playing the role of Maria Connor in the ITV soap opera Coronation Street since 2000.
Ghadie was born in Eccles, Greater Manchester to Joseph, a French-Lebanese shop owner, and Patsy, an English actress who he met whilst working in Abu Dhabi and Ghadie lived there for a period as a child. She also has a brother named Tariq.
Ghadie made her acting debut when she was 11 years old, appearing in an episode of Cracker ("The Big Crunch"). She then made appearances in Children's Ward, Heartbeat, Doctors, There's Only One Jimmy Grimble (Feature Film) and the children's series Life Force.
Ghadie's big break came in 2000, when she beat both Suzanne Shaw and Kimberley Walsh to obtain the role of Maria Sutherland in the ITV soap opera Coronation Street, where she has been at the centre of some of the show's biggest and central story lines. In Autumn 2009, Ghadie took a short break from her role as Maria on Coronation Street due to her maternity leave, however she resumed filming the show in May 2010.
Ghadie won an episode of Celebrity Stars in Their Eyes impersonating Holly Valance. She also made an appearance in Bo' Selecta! in 2004 as part of a Coronation Street sketch along with co-star Suranne Jones.
Dancing on Ice
In January 2013, Ghadie was a competitor in the eighth series of Dancing on Ice, partnered with French professional ice skater Sylvain Longchambon. She sustained a concussion a few days into the pre-series training. Ghadie was eliminated in Week 8 of the competition losing out in a skate off to Luke Campbell.
Ghadie has appeared twice on the ITV show All Star Family Fortunes. Her first appearance was on a Christmas special on 23 December 2006, where she appeared as part of the Battersby-Brown family. Her second appearance was on 13 May 2012, when she appeared with her own family.
Awards and nominations
Ghadie married Matt Smith, a property developer, at St Philip's Church in Alderley Edge, Cheshire on 10 September 2005 after a seven-month engagement. On 19 October 2009, she gave birth to a baby girl, Freya Ghadie temporarily left Coronation Street to go on maternity leave. On 4 January 2011, Ghadie and her husband announced that they have separated by mutual agreement . On 4 November 2011, it was revealed that she had reverted to her maiden name of Ghadie following her decree absolute which was granted the same day. In May 2015, she announced her engagement to French professional ice skater Sylvain Longchambon. They married in August 2016. Their son, Yves Joseph Longchambon, was born on 24 September 2015.
- "Corrie's Samia Smith AND HER BIG NIGHT BEAUTY SECRETS". Findarticles.com. 22 May 2005. Retrieved 30 April 2011.[dead link]
- "Coronation Street star Samia Smith takes a pregnant pause in stunning Barbados". Daily Mail. London. 20 September 2009.
- Home. "Smith, Samia – Who's who on UK TV from hellomagazine.com, HELLO!". Hello!. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- Sexy Female Soap Stars – AOL Photo Gallery[dead link]
- Jury, Anna (7 January 2013). "Samia Ghadie on her Dancing on Ice preparations". Daily Mirror.
- Family Fortunes Corrie Christmas Special (1 December 2006). "Corrieblog: Family Fortunes Corrie Christmas Special". Corrieblog.tv. Archived from the original on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "Corrie's Samia Smith gives birth – Coronation Street News – Showbiz". Digital Spy. 19 October 2009. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "Coronation Street star Samia Smith splits from husband Matthew". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "'Coronation Street' Samia Smith granted divorce, uses maiden name - Coronation Street News - Showbiz". Digital Spy. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- Moriarty, Richard. "Corrie's Samia Smith divorces". The Sun. London.
- "Samia Smith steps out with Corrie 'lover' Will Thorp... as her estranged husband says 'I love my wife'". Daily Mail. London. 31 January 2011.
- Briggs, Zoe (25 May 2015). "Pregnant Samia Ghadie confirms she's engaged to Sylvain Longchambon". OK! Magazine.
- "Samia Ghadie exclusively reveals first pictures of glamorous wedding to Sylvain Longchambon". OK!. 29 August 2016.
- Briggs, Zoe (28 September 2015). "Samia Ghadie gives birth to beautiful and healthy baby boy". OK! Magazine.
- Beth Hardie (14 April 2009). "',mirror.co.uk', – "Coronation Street star Samia Smith devastated after losing father" – retrieved 16 April 2009". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 10 February 2013.