This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Samih Taleb Mahmoud Darwazah
|Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources|
8 Jan 1995 – 4 Feb 1996
Nablus, British mandate of Palestine
|Died||15 May 2015|
Samih Darwazah (Arabic: سميح دروزة, 1930 – 15 May 2015) was the founder of Hikma Pharmaceuticals, Jordan's largest pharmaceutical business, the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources from 1995 to 1996, and later a senator in the Jordanian parliament.
He worked for Eli Lilly from 1964 to 1976, before establishing Hikma Pharmaceuticals in 1978. Between 1995 and 1996 he served as Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources to the Government of Jordan. He also founded the Jordan Trade Association and was a member of the Advisory Economic Council to His Majesty the King of Jordan. In 2007, Darwazah was named the Ernst & Young Middle East Entrepreneur Of The Year. Darwazah was chairman of Capital Bank.
Darwazah founded Hikma in 1978 in Amman, Jordan. With the help of his children, who joined the business in its early days, Hikma grew from a small factory in Jordan into the largest regional supplier of pharmaceuticals in the Middle East and North Africa (“MENA”) region. The company also expanded outside the MENA region, establishing operations in Europe and the US. Today Hikma operates in around 50 countries, selling a broad range of branded generics, generic injectables, non-injectable generics and in-licensed patented products. In 2005, the company floated on the London Stock Exchange and in March 2015 it entered the FTSE 100 index.
In 2004, Darwazah published his business memoir, Building a Global Success.
- "Distinguished AUB alumnus and donor Samih Darwazah dies, leaving behind a remarkable personal and professional legacy". AUB. Archived from the original on 2015-05-23.
- Ward, Andrew (21 May 2015). "Samih Darwazah, pharmaceuticals entrepreneur, 1930-2015". Financial Times. Retrieved 10 October 2016.
- "Join Zawya Investment Solutions, Intelligence with in-depth Research & Analysis". Zawya. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "List of Public Companies Worldwide, Letter - Businessweek - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
-  Archived June 17, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- [dead link]