11 March 1954 |
New Delhi, India
The Times Group
Ashok Kumar Jain
|Relatives||Sahu Ramesh Chandra Jain
Sahu Shanti Prasad Jain
Samir Jain (Hindi: समीर जैन; born 11 March 1954) belongs to the Sahu Jain family and is the current Vice-Chairman of India's largest media group, Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd., parent company of The Times of India and other large newspapers.
Education and personal life
In 1975 Samir joined the family owned Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. as a junior executive. Over the next 7 years he gained experience and was soon managing the company's media interests while his father Ashok Jain managed the non-publishing parts. By 1982 Samir was vice-chairman and running the entire company as his father pursued by charges of fraud and suffering from a weak heart departed to seek medical treatment in the United States. Samir spent the 1980s remaking Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. (BCCL) into an innovative marketing company. He sensed the zeitgeist and was poised when the liberalisation reform in 1991 allowed a new Indian with money to spend and immediate desires to gratify. His business proposition was simple: he would connect sellers of goods to this vast market of consumers. He was the first in media industry to dispense with the post of an Editor.
- The Times of India, World's largest English-language broadsheet daily newspaper in terms of circulation
- The Economic Times, India's largest financial daily, and the world's second largest in terms of circulation after The Wall Street Journal
- Maharashtra Times, Marathi daily
- Navbharat Times, Hindi Daily in Delhi and Mumbai
- Mumbai Mirror India's largest circulated compact newspaper
- Kolkata Mirror
- Ahmedabad Mirror
- Pune Mirror
- Bangalore Mirror, Bangalore's first morning compact daily.
- Vijaya Karnataka, no 2nd Kannada daily.
- ZigWheels, India's largest Automobile magazine.
- ET Wealth, India's largest Personal Finance compact weekly.
- Filmfare, India's largest circulated film magazine
- Femina, India's beauty and lifestyle magazine
Along with the above, the group also publishes several supplements for their magazines.
- Trishla Jain – Artist
- "Trishla Jain's arty evening!". The Times of India. 26 October 2010.
- Dasgupta, Reshmi R (24 October 2010). "Cupcakes & Sunlight: Trishla Jain's artworks – The Economic Times". The Times of India.
- Auletta. Page 55.
- "TOI Online is world's No.1 newspaper websites". The Times of India. 12 July 2009.
- The Hindu News Update Service at the Wayback Machine (archived October 12, 2007)
- List of newspapers in the World by circulation
- Top 10 English Dailies: Indian Readership Survey (IRS) 2010 — Quarter 1 | Newswatch
- The Times Group Products
- World Press Trends 2008. World Association of Newspapers. 2008. p. 14. Retrieved 23 June 2009.
- "World's Largest English Daily Publisher Said to Weigh India IPO". Bloomberg. 16 February 2011.
- http://www.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../Times-Now-most-watched.../7607495. Missing or empty
- Profile in Forbes magazine
- Info in Business Today
- Times of India controversy
- Infobox Reference
- Samir Jain Profile in India Today
- Brand Capital news
- Auletta, Ken: “Citizens Jain – Why India's Newspaper Industry is Thriving“. The New Yorker, 8 October 2012, Pages 52 to 61.
- Subramanian, Samanth : "Supreme Being : How Samir Jain created the modern Indian Newspaper Industry", Caravan Magazine, 1 December 2012.