|Directed by||Mohana Krishna Indraganti|
|Written by||Mohana Krishna Indraganti|
|Produced by||Sivalenka Krishna Prasad|
Aditi Rao Hydari
|Cinematography||P. G. Vinda|
|Edited by||Marthand K. Venkatesh|
|Music by||Vivek Sagar|
|Box office||est. ₹15.7 crore|
Sammohanam (transl. Enchantment) is a 2018 Indian Telugu-language romantic drama film written and directed by Mohana Krishna Indraganti. Produced by Sivalenka Krishna Prasad, it features Sudheer Babu and Aditi Rao Hydari in the lead roles. The music was composed by Vivek Sagar with cinematography by P. G. Vinda.
Released on 15 June 2018, The film is loosely inspired from the British film Notting Hill (1999), starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant, and My Week with Marilyn (2011). The film received positive response upon release, and became a profitable venture.
Vijay is an aspiring children's book illustrator while his father Sarvesh's interest is in the movies. Vijay does not like movies and believes everything related to it is fake. One day, a film producer asks Sarvesh to rent his house for a film shooting in which Sameera Rathore, a well-known actress is the lead. Sarvesh in the hope of fulfilling his childhood dream of becoming an actor, immediately agrees, much to the dismay of Vijay.
As the shoot begins, the entire family except Vijay begins to relish it, despite minor inconveniences. Sameera, who cannot speak Telugu, struggles to utter her dialogues. She upon noticing that the family is making fun of her, asks Vijay to be her language tutor, and he agrees. In order to stay away from the film's lead actor Kishore Babu, Sameera spends more time with Vijay and his family. Vijay realizes that Sameera is not the type of film star he thought would be and eventually falls for her. Later, the shooting in the house is wrapped up and Sameera leaves.
A few days later, Vijay who is madly in love with Sameera, visits her shooting locale in Manali and confesses his love. Sameera softly rejects his proposal telling him she never had such feelings. Disappointed Vijay leaves the place. Meanwhile, the film shot in their house releases. Sarvesh's promised role is trimmed out and the words which Vijay emotionally shares with Sameera are used as dialogue without his consent. In addition, Sameera also claims on a TV show that she wrote that dialogue herself. Furious Vijay calls up the show right away with a fake name and asks Sameera to tell the truth but she doesn't. Sameera, who seemingly realizes that it was Vijay who called on the show, arrives at his house to patch up with him. But Vijay harshly rejects her.
Days later, Vijay hears that Sameera fell off from her building and is critically wounded and hospitalized. Vijay goes to the hospital, where he meets Sameera's manager. She explains to him that Sameera's friend Amit Malhotra is responsible for her situation. Amit and Sameera started together as budding actors but unlike Sameera, Amit never got his break. Amit preyed on Sameera's success and eventually grew jealous of her. Though Sameera tried to keep him away, he always found a way to harass Sameera. Amidst the situation, Sameera found peace when Vijay's on her side and genuinely loved him. When Amit found that Sameera is in love with someone, he wows to kill him. Following this, Sameera tries her best to hide Vijay's identity from Amit.
One day, Amit arrives at Sameera's home with a Bollywood film offer for both of them on the condition that Sameera spends a night with the producer of the film. He also blackmails Sameera that he would ruin her career by releasing her past videos to the media. Upon hearing this, Sameera slaps him in anger and Amit slaps her back, inadvertently throwing her out of the balcony. Vijay also learns that it was the writer of the film who stole the dialogue when Sameera explained to him the true meaning of love in Vijay's words.
Vijay, realizing that he misunderstood Sameera all along, plans to teach Amit a lesson. Vijay, his friends and his father frighten Amit by threatening to murder him if he continues to harass Sameera. They retrieve the photos and videos, and ask him to leave for Mumbai.
On the same evening, a recovered Sameera arrives as the chief guest to Vijay's children's book launch. There, Vijay apologizes and proposes to Sameera again which she happily accepts. Later, Sarvesh bags a role in an upcoming film, while Vijay's mother gets a call from a big production company for her catering services. Sameera and Vijay are then seen on the terrace talking intimately and looking very much in love with each other.
- Sudheer Babu as Vijay
- Aditi Rao Hydari as Sameera Rathore
- Naresh as Sarvesh "Sarva", Vijay's father
- Tanikella Bharani as Shyam Prasad
- Pavithra Lokesh as Vijay's mother
- Amit Purohit as Amit Malhotra
- Rahul Ramakrishna as Murthy
- Hari Teja as Ramya
- Nandu as Kishore Babu
- Abhay Bethiganti as Seenu
- Vamsi Raghava Yenumula as Venkat
- Harshini as Divya
- John Kottoly as Surya - Director
- Appaji Ambarisha Darbha as Acting Coach
- Cameo appearances
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||May 12, 2018|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Vivek Sagar chronology|
|1.||"Oohalu Oorege Gaalanthaa"||Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry||Haricharan, Keerthana||4:59|
|2.||"Manasainadedo"||Indraganti Srikantha Sarma||Vivek Sagar||4:05|
|3.||"O Cheli Thaara"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Haricharan||4:47|
|4.||"Kanulalo Thadigaa"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Chaitra Ambadipudi||4:14|
Srivathsan Nadadhur in his review for The Hindu praised the performances and direction and says, "Sammohanam works because its characters are vulnerable and human. Their flaws boost the character arcs." Hemanth Kumar writing for The First Post praised the performance of the lead actors, "Aditi Rao Hydari, Sudheer Babu are terrific in this simple, sweet love story", he stated. Kumar however, pointed out that the screenplay loses its pace in the latter half. Priyanka Sundar of Hindustan Times rating the film three out of five stars appreciated the film for its well-written characters.
Janani K. of India Today while appreciating the performances also writes that "Sammohanam goes off track towards the second half, falling short of becoming the 'best' film" The Indian Express journalist Manoj Kumar R rating the film two-and-a-half stars out of five, opined that though it has its "magical moments", the film falls short of "rising above its own limitations." The Times of India critic Suhas Yellapantula rated 2.5/5 and wrote: "The flashes of brilliance are overshadowed by a predictable storyline and by the time the climax is over, the only feeling you're left with is one of disappointment."
Awards and Nominations
|Date of ceremony||Award||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|6 January 2019||Zee Cine Awards Telugu||Best Debut-Female||Aditi Rao Hydari||Won|||
|Entertainer of the Year||Sudheer Babu||Won|
|17 February 2019||TSR – TV9 National Film Awards||Special Jury Award||Aditi Rao Hydari||Won|||
|15 & 16 August 2019||SIIMA Film Awards||Best Director – Telugu||Indraganti Mohan Krishna||Nominated|||
|Best Actor – Telugu||Sudheer Babu||Nominated|
|Best Actress – Telugu||Aditi Rao Hydari||Nominated|
|Best Actor in a Supporting Role||Naresh||Nominated|
|Special Jury Award - Telugu||Sudheer Babu||Won|||
|21 December 2019||Filmfare Awards South||Best Film – Telugu||Sammohanam||Nominated|||
|Best Director – Telugu||Mohan Krishna Indraganti||Nominated|
|Best Actress – Telugu||Aditi Rao Hydari||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor – Telugu||Naresh||Nominated|
|Best Music Director – Telugu||Vivek Sagar||Nominated|
- "Sammohanam (2018) - Sammohanam Movie - Sammohanam Telugu Movie Cast & Crew, Release Date, Review, Photos, Videos". FilmiBeat. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- K., Janani (13 June 2018). "Naa Nuvve vs Sammohanam box office clash: Nandamuri Kalyan Ram to fight Sudheer Babu". India Today. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- "Tollywood box office report of 2018: highest grossing Telugu movies of year; List of hits and flops". 23 November 2018.
- "Sudheer Babu's upcoming film titled 'Sammohanam'". Times of India. 23 February 2018.
- "Sammohanam inspired from Notting Hill?". Deccan Chronicle. 4 May 2018.
- "Sammohanam director Mohana Krishna Indraganti on being influenced by Notting Hill and working with Aditi Rao Hydari". Firstpost. 19 June 2018. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (15 June 2018). "Sammohanam movie review: Mohan's script, Sudheer-Aditi's performances strike chord with audience". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- Vyas (17 July 2018). "Sammohanam Final Box Office Collections Report". The Hans India. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- "Sammohanam". Saavn. Aditya Music. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- Nadadhur, Srivathsan (15 June 2018). "'Sammohanam' review : Union of two worlds". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- "Sammohanam movie review: Aditi Rao Hydari, Sudheer Babu are terrific in this simple, sweet love story". Firstpost. 15 June 2018. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- "Sammohanam movie review: This Aditi Rao Hydari film will hypnotise you". Hindustan Times. 15 June 2018. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- K., Janani (15 June 2018). "Sammohanam Movie Review: Sudheer Babu and Aditi Rao Hydari shine in a delightful love story". India Today. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- "Sammohanam movie review: Aditi Rao Hydari and Sudheer Babu's film works in parts". The Indian Express. 16 June 2018. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- Yellapantula, Suhas (15 June 2018). "Sammohanam Movie Review". Times Of India. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- "'Sammohanam' box office collections: Sudheer Babu and Aditi Rao Hydari starrer raked in Rs 5 Cr in its first week - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
- "Zee Cine Awards Telugu 2018 glitters with the best of Tollywood - Exchange4media". Indian Advertising Media & Marketing News – exchange4media. Retrieved 17 February 2019.
- "TSR TV9 National film awards for 2017 and 2018 winners announcement press meet - idlebrain.com news". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 17 February 2019.
- "SIIMA Awards 2019: Here's a complete list of nominees - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "SIIMA 2019 in Qatar: Vijay Deverakonda, Keerthy Suresh, Yash and Other Celebs' Stylish Red Carpet Appearances Are A Must See! View Pics". Latestly. 16 August 2019. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Nominations for the 66th Filmfare Awards (South) 2019". Filmfare. Retrieved 20 December 2019.