Mejía with Banvit in December 2013
|No. 9 – Tofaş S.K.|
|Position||Shooting guard / Small forward|
|League||Turkish Basketball Super League|
February 7, 1983 |
Bronx, New York
|Nationality||Dominican / American|
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school||Theodore Roosevelt
(Bronx, New York)
|NBA draft||2007 / Round: 2 / Pick: 57th overall|
|Selected by the Detroit Pistons|
|2007–2008||Fort Wayne Mad Ants|
|2008||Pierrel Capo d'Orlando|
|2008–2009||AEL 1964 GS|
|Career highlights and awards|
Samuel José Mejía (born February 7, 1983) is a Dominican American professional basketball player who plays for Tofaş of the Turkish Basketball Super League (BSL). He played college basketball at DePaul University. Standing at 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m), he plays at the shooting guard and small forward positions.
Mejía was drafted by the Detroit Pistons in the 2007 NBA draft with the 57th overall pick. The Pistons waived Mejía on October 29, 2007. In 2007–08, he briefly played with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the NBA D-League. On January 30, 2008, he signed with the Italian club Pierrel Capo d'Orlando for the rest of the season.
On September 29, 2009, Mejía moved to France and signed a one-year deal with Cholet Basket. On July 1, 2010, he re-signed with Cholet for one more season. During the 2010–11 Euroleague, Meija was named the Euroleague MVP of the 5th week games. He was named the 2010 LNB Pro A MVP and was selected to play at the 2010 LNB All-star game as forward player in the starting line-up of the "Foreign" team in Paris-Bercy, representing Cholet Basket.
On June 22, 2011 he signed a two-year contract with the Russian club CSKA Moscow. On June 22, 2012, he parted ways with CSKA. The next day, he signed a contract with the Turkish club Banvit.
On January 7, 2015, in a Eurocup away game against Budućnost Podgorica, he was involved in the incident. With two minutes of game remaining, a hooligan ran onto the court and hit him from the back, after which his teammate Rowland punch the hooligan. Mejía later joined Rowland in the brawl. Referees later ejected both players from the court. He was fined by the Euroleague Basketball for taking part in the incident, with three games of suspension, and a 30,000 euros fine. On April 16, 2015, he was named to the All-Eurocup First Team.
- ROOSEVELT’S MEJIA CAN’T HIDE
- Graham, Bryan Armen (November 9, 2006). "Before Keydren, Diminutive Houston Was Scoring King". CSTV Networks, Inc. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
- Pistons Sign Second-Round Pick Sammy Mejia
- Pistons waive Sammy Mejia
- Sammy Mejia D-League Stats
- Sammy Mejia sbarca lunedì a Capo d'Orlando (Italian)
- AEL is aiming for Sammy Mejía
- CHOLET BASKET signs Mejia, Eitutavicius
- Cholet brings back Mejia, Falker & Robinson
- Sportingbet Week 5 MVP: Sammy Mejia, Cholet Basket
- Les sélections (French)
- CSKA brings aboard scorer Mejia
- CSKA Moscow and Sammy Mejia part ways
- Banvit BK lands Mejia
- "Igrači tukli huligana u Morači!". b92.net (in Serbian). Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "ULEB odredio kazne za tuču u Morači". b92.net (in Serbian). Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- 2014-15 All-Eurocup first, second teams announced
- "Togas Bursa Announces Sammy Mejia". Sportando. 2015-08-14. Retrieved 2015-08-14.