|Solomon Johannes Terreblanche|
17 April 1933 |
|Institution||University of Stellenbosch|
|Alma mater||University of Stellenbosch (MA) (Pd.D.)
Solomon Johannes "Sampie" Terreblanche is an Afrikaner academic and writer, author of numerous economics books and is most famous for his History of Inequality in South Africa, 1652 - 2002. He is Professor emeritus of Economics at Stellenbosch University, where he has built a reputation as a lecturer in Economic thought and Economic history.
Terreblanche matriculated from Edenville High School in the Orange Free State and went on to study at the University of Stellenbosch. Whilst at Stellenbosch he obtained his Master's Degree and a Doctorate in Philosophy. After which he went on to spend a year at Harvard University in 1968/1969.
Terreblanche lectured at the University of the Orange Free State for eight years. He returned to lecture at Stellenbosch University from 1968 until his retirement in 1995. In the 1980s Terreblanche was involved in clandestine meetings with the ANC and in 1985 he was made chairman of the newly formed "Discussion group '85" at Stellenbosch. In 1987 he quit the National Party due to growing doubts and disagreements with its policies of Apartheid and became one of the government's strongest Afrikaans critics. He was a founding member of the Democratic Party (forerunner to the Democratic Alliance) but is no longer involved in politics. In 2008 he co-wrote an article to the South African media with Drucilla Cornell and Mahmood Mamdani calling for the establishment of a Justice and Reconciliation Commission to "educate whites, who were the beneficiaries of this exploitative system [Apartheid], as well as to develop a programme of reparations, restitution and perhaps most important, the establishment of economic measures that could effectively grapple with the devastating institutional effects of an internal system of colonisation."
- Die industriele groeiproses, 1770–1940 (1967)
- Die doelwit van 'n hoe ekonomiese groeikoers (1973)
- Chroniese gemeenskapsarmoede (1977)
- Vernuwing en herskikking (1973)
- Die wording van die Westerse ekonomie (1980)
- Politieke ekonomie en sosiale welvaart, met 'n toepassing op Suid-Afrika (1986)
- Geskiedenis van die Westerse ekonomie (1988)
- 'n Geskiedenis van opeenvolgende ekonomiese stelsels (1994)
- A history of inequality in South Africa, 1652–2002, University of KwaZulu-Natal Press (2003)
- "Author of publications on Economic History and Economic Systems: Emeritus Professor of Economics, Stellenbosch University". Stellenbosch Writers. Retrieved January 14, 2012.
- "Only complete reform of economy can defuse tensions". Cape Times. May 28, 2008. Retrieved January 14, 2012.
|This article about a South African writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a South African academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|