May 14, 1935|
Bangued, Abra, Philippine Islands
|Died||December 26, 2014
|Alma mater||Manuel L. Quezon University (Bachelor of Laws)|
Samson S. Alcantara (May 14, 1935 – December 26, 2014) was a Filipino lawyer and law professor. He was also the national president of the Social Justice Society, a political party accredited by the Commission on Elections, as well as the founding chairman and president of the ABAKADA-GURO partylist, a partylist group representing teachers. Alcantara was also a candidate for the 2013 Philippine Senate elections under the Social Justice Society.
Alcantara began working as a law professor in 1967, specializing in political law and labor law. At present, he serves as a law professor for the University of Santo Tomas, the Manuel L. Quezon University, the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila, the University of the East, and the New Era University.
ABAKADA GURO Partylist
In 2003, Alcantara founded the Advocates and Adherents of Social Justice for School Teachers and Allied Workers (AASJS), a party-list organization composed of academic and non-academic personnel of educational institution which aims to initiate educational reforms for all levels. It participated in the party-list election in 2004, but failed to win a seat in Congress. Soon after, it changed its name to the ABAKADA GURO Partylist. Under the new name, the group succeeded in winning a congressional seat in the 2007 party-list election, with journalist Jonathan A. Dela Cruz serving as its representative.
In January 2010, ABAKADA gave a press release stating that Alcantara would replace Dela Cruz as its party-list representative in Congress. The announcement came as a result of Dela Cruz's supposed resignation on December 31, 2009 in accordance with a term-sharing agreement between him and Alcantara. However, Dela Cruz reiterated that he is still the organization's representative, adding that the agreement was not approved by the members of ABAKADA.
Later that year, Alcantara, along with a few members of the party, filed a petition against Dela Cruz before the Supreme Court. In the petition, Alcantara et al. asked the Supreme Court to remove Dela Cruz as party-list representative of ABAKADA and to declare him as the lawful representative of the group. The petition was junked on April 17, 2012 since the contested term had already expired, making its petition moot and academic.
2013 Senate candidacy
Alcantara filed his candidacy for senator in the 2013 elections on October 4, 2012.
In December 2012, Alcantara filed a petition before the Supreme Court to stop the airing of television commercials of five government officials who are also running for senator in the upcoming election. In the petition, he stated that these officials acted against ethical standards expected from elected officials and violated "the letter and spirit" of the 1987 Constitution. Those named in the petition included Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, Aurora Representative Sonny Angara, San Juan Representative JV Ejercito, Cagayan Representative Jack Enrile, and Puerto Princesa City Mayor Edward Hagedorn.
He died on December 26, 2014 due to massive stroke.
- Santos, Reynaldo, Jr. (2012-10-26). "Comelec approves 5 more senatorial bets". Rappler. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Atty. Samson S. Alcantara < UST College of Civil Law, retrieved 2013-01-02
- Candidate for Senator: Samson Alcantara and His Profile, retrieved 2013-01-02
- Mungcal, Cherry Anne M. (2010-05-06). "Partylist Profile: ABAKADA". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- Salaverria, Leila B. (2010-01-05). "Newsbriefs: Party-list group nominees fight over seat". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- Lawas, Hector (2012-05-21). "Suit vs party-list junked". Journal. Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- "G.R. No. 191583 : April 17, 2012: ABAKADA GURO PARTY LIST AND SAMSON S. ALCANTARA, NOEL T. TIAMPONG, PEDRO T. DABU, JR., RODOLFO MAPILE, ROMEO R. ROBISO, AND LOPE E. FEBLE v. JONATHAN A. DELA CRUZ AND SPEAKER PROSPERO C. NOGRALES.", Chan Robles Virtual Law Library, 2012-04-17, retrieved 2013-01-03
- Tan, Kimberly Jane (2012-10-04). "List of Senate hopefuls as of 4 October 2012". GMA News. Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- Aning, Jerome (2012-12-15). "Senatorial bet hales ‘early birds’ to SC". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- "Atty. Samson Alcantara, 2013 senatorial candidate, dies". GMA News. December 26, 2014. Retrieved December 26, 2014.