Samsung Galaxy 5
Samsung Galaxy 5 in Black
|Also known as||GT-I5500/I5503|
Samsung Galaxy Europa
Samsung Galaxy 550
Samsung Corby Smartphone
Samsung Corby Android
|Product family||Samsung Galaxy|
|Release date||August 2010|
|Operating system||Android 2.2.2 Froyo|
|CPU||MSM7227-1 ARM11 600 MHz|
|Memory||256 MB (Accessible: 184 MB) SDRAM|
|Storage||512 MB (Accessible: 184 MB) up to 32 GB microSD card|
|Display||240 x 320 pixels, 2.8 inches (~143 ppi pixel density) 16M color|
|Camera||2.0 Megapixels fixed focus, face detection, panorama mode|
|Power||1200 mAh Li-ion|
|Dimensions||108 mm (4.3 in) H|
56 mm (2.2 in) W
12.3 mm (0.48 in) D
|Mass||102 g (3.6 oz)|
|Successor||Samsung Galaxy Mini|
|Related articles||Samsung Corby|
The Samsung Galaxy 5, (also called Samsung GT-I5500, Samsung GT-I5503, Samsung GT-I5510M, Samsung Galaxy Europa, Samsung Galaxy 550, Samsung Corby Smartphone and Samsung Corby Android in some countries), is a smartphone. It uses the open source Android operating system (OS). It was announced on June 15, 2010.
The phone measures 108 millimetres (4.3 in) x 56 millimetres (2.2 in) x 12.3 millimetres (0.48 in). It ships with Android 2.1 Eclair (or 2.2 Froyo) operating system and supports the HSDPA ("3.5G") mobile telephony protocol at 7.2 Mbit/s. The user interface features a capacitive touchscreen but does not support multi-touch as found on high end smartphones. The 2.8 inches (71 mm) screen supports QVGA (240 x 320 pixels) resolution with a 16M color depth. The communication features include Bluetooth, 3G, Wi-Fi and A-GPS.
When originally released, the phone came with Android 2.1 as the preinstalled OS. As of August 2011[update], most phones are shipping with Android 2.2 Froyo. Some carriers allow an update from Android 2.1 to 2.2 via the Samsung Kies software package, that is bundled with the phone. Froyo brought many new features to the phone, including voice dialling.
Unofficially, the phone can run Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread, 4.0.4 ICS, 4.3 Jelly Bean or 4.4.4 kitkat via three different ports of CyanogenMod made by the same group. At this time, these ports have, together, over 110,000 installations at Samsung i5500 devices.
- "Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5 - Full phone specifications". Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- Haselton, Todd (15 June 2010). "Samsung outs i5500 Galaxy 5 Android smartphone". MobileBurn.com. Archived from the original on 30 September 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Westaway, Luke (4 October 2010). "Samsung Galaxy Europa GT-i5500 review". CNET. CBS Interactive Ltd. Archived from the original on 25 December 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "MADTeam: A Site Dedicated To Android". Retrieved 25 June 2012., CyanogenMod port official page, Samsung i5500
- "CyanogenMod Stats". Retrieved 19 July 2013.