Samsung Galaxy Avant
|Compatible networks||GSM, HSPA, LTE|
|First released||July 2014|
|Dimensions||132.9 x 66.0 x 9.9 mm|
|Operating system||Android 4.4.2 "KitKat"|
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 (MSM8226)|
|CPU||ARM Cortex-A7 Quad-core 1.2 GHz|
|Battery||Removable 2100 mAh Li-ion battery|
|Data inputs||Capacitive touchscreen|
|Display||4.5 inch 540 x 960 TFT LCD|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, microUSB 2.0|
The Samsung Galaxy Avant was a mid-range smartphone released by Samsung in July 2014. It was only available on the T-Mobile network, although it could be purchased both on and off contract. This phone retailed for $230, making it one of the cheaper offerings by T-Mobile. While this phone was praised for its low price and decent performance, it was also criticized for its poor screen and camera. This screen was often cited as having washed out colors and a lack of sharpness, likely as a result of the TFT panel used. This phone did receive a few official software updates, but was never upgraded past Android KitKat.
Rooting & Custom ROMs
Soon after the release of this phone, a method to gain root access on the Galaxy Avant was discovered. In order to root the phone, a root package must be flashed through Odin on a PC, which can then be used to flash a custom recovery, allowing for further ROMs to be flashed. Despite being rooted and having TWRP available, this device did not receive any support past Android 4.4.4, however, it did receive a modified ROM that provided some of the design and functionality of Android Marshmallow.
- "Samsung Galaxy Avant - Full phone specifications". GSM Arena. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- Crider, Michael. "T-Mobile Launches The Samsung Galaxy Avant, A Respectable Low-End KitKat Phone For $216 Up Front". Android Police. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- Dolcourt, Jessica. "Samsung Galaxy Avant review". CNET. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- Kim, Eugene. "Samsung Galaxy Avant (T-Mobile) Review & Rating". PCMag. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- Nelson, Jeremiah (October 19, 2014). "Featured Review: Samsung Galaxy Avant (T-Mobile USA)". Android Headlines. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- Thrasher, Andrew. "T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Avant Review". YouTube. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- "Software updates: Samsung Galaxy Avant". T-Mobile Support. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- D-FUSE. "New Galaxy Avant G386T & G386T1 - We have root and recovery". XDA Developers. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- TheUnlockr Staff. "How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Avant". TheUnlockr. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- "How To Root The Samsung Galaxy Avant". FlexiSPY Blog. Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- Kennedy, Randall. "From KitKat to Marshmallow: How I transformed my aging Android phone to keep it fun and functional". BetaNews. Retrieved 23 August 2019.