Samsung Galaxy Note 9
|Slogan||The new super powerful Note.|
|Series||Samsung Galaxy Note|
SM-N960x (Last letter varies by carrier and international models)
SC-01L (NTT Docomo)
|Compatible networks||2G, 3G, 4G, 4G LTE|
|First released||9 August 2018|
|Availability by region|
|Predecessor||Samsung Galaxy Note 8|
|Successor||Samsung Galaxy Note 10|
|Related||Samsung Galaxy S9 |
Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018)
|Dimensions||H: 161.9 mm (6.37 in)|
W: 76.4 mm (3.01 in)
D: 8.8 mm (0.35 in)
|Mass||201 g (7.1 oz)|
|Operating system||Original: Android Oreo 8.1 with Samsung Experience 9.5|
Current: Android 10 with Samsung One UI 2.5
|System on chip||Australia, United Kingdom and the rest of the world: Samsung Exynos 9810|
North America, China, Hong Kong, Japan and Latin America: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
|CPU||Exynos: Octa-core (4x2.7 GHz Cortex-A55 & 4x1.7 GHz Mongoose M3)|
Snapdragon: Octa-core (4x2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4x1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)
|Memory||6 GB (128 GB model) 8 GB (512 GB model)|
|Storage||128 GB or 512 GB UFS 2.1|
|Removable storage||microSD card support up to 512 GB|
|Battery||4000 mAh (non-removable), 15W charging speed|
Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen display, 2960x1440 px resolution (516 ppi)
|Rear camera||Dual 12 MP (1.4 μm, f/1.5/2.4) + 12 MP ((1.0 μm), f/2.4), Dual OIS, 4K at 30 or 60 fps (limited to 5 min), QHD at 30 fps, 1080p at 30 or 60 fps, 720p at 30 fps and slow motion at 960 fps|
|Front camera||8 MP (1.22 μm, f/1.7), autofocus|
|Sound||Stereo speakers tuned by AKG with Dolby Atmos support|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80, MU-MIMO, 1024-QAM Bluetooth 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, NFC, location (GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, BeiDou)|
|Water resistance||IP68, up to 1.5 m (4.9 ft) for 30 minutes|
The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (stylized as Samsung Galaxy Note9) is an Android-based phablet designed, developed, produced and marketed by Samsung Electronics as part of the Samsung Galaxy Note series. It was awarded the "Best Phone of the Year" award by Consumer Reports. It was unveiled on 9 August 2018, as the successor to the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It is available in six colours (Ocean Blue, Midnight Black, Lavender Purple, Metallic Copper, Cloud Silver, and Alpine White).
Many Galaxy Note 9 features were leaked before the official launch, including its S-Pen. On 27 June 2018, Samsung sent out invites for the next "Unpacked" event, showing a gold S Pen image. According to that teaser, it was announced on 9 August 2018.
The Note 9 has a 6.4-inch (160 mm) 1440p Super AMOLED display with an 18.5:9 aspect ratio. The design on the front is otherwise similar to the Note 8, using an "Infinity Display" as marketed by Samsung.
It has 128 or 512 GB storage options. The 128 GB model has 6 GB of RAM while the 512 GB model has 8 GB of RAM, making it the first Samsung flagship mobile phone with 512 GB of internal storage and 8 GB of RAM. All models also have a microSD card slot that can support a microSD card that stores up to 512 gigabytes of data, expanding storage up to 1 terabyte with the 512 GB model.
The 4000 mAh battery is significantly upgraded from previous Samsung Galaxy phones such as the Note 8, which came with a 3300 mAh, while the Galaxy Note 7 and Galaxy Note 5 came with 3500 mAh and 3000 mAh respectively. A 4000 mAh battery was previously seen only in the Active variants of the S7 and S8.
The dual-camera system on the Note 9 is similar to that of the Note 8 and the S9, consisting of a 12MP primary wide-angle lens (with the notable addition of a dual-aperture system going from ƒ/1.5-ƒ/2.4 with a 1/2.55-inch sensor and dual-pixel PDAF) and a 12MP ƒ/2.4 telephoto lens capable of 2x optical zoom and 10x digital zoom (with a 1/3.6-inch sensor and AF). Both lenses are optically stabilized. The lenses were arranged horizontally in the camera module on the back of the phone. Like on the S9, the Note 9 supports video recording at 4K resolution (2160p) at up to 60 fps, with slow motion ranging from 240 fps at 1080p (FHD) and 960 fps (marketed as Super Slow-Mo) at 720p (HD).
A new software has been added to the feature which warns the user about flaws such as blur and blinking eyes after each photograph.
The Note 9 has IP68 water & dust resistance and a USB-C connector that supports Samsung DeX without a dock, through HDMI. It has a 3.5 mm headphone jack along with AKG tuned stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos support. It is the last Samsung Galaxy Note device to come with a headphone jack. The phone is made out of metal.
The biggest change to the Note 9 is to the S-Pen. The S-Pen now has Bluetooth capabilities, including the ability to tap the button on it (hold, single or double) to do certain tasks, such as moving forwards or backwards in presentations or taking photos, and third party support is provided for apps via an SDK.
The S-Pen now has a "battery" (essentially a Super Capacitor) that charges when the pen is docked in the silo, with Samsung claiming 30 minutes of usage (or up to 200 clicks of the button) with only 40 seconds of charging.
The Note 9 ships with Android 8.1 Oreo with Samsung Experience 9.5 as the software overlay. The phone was later updated to Android 10 with Samsung's One UI. The latest version is One UI 2.5 that got released to the phone in October 2020.
The camera software has been further improved and now includes an AI scene recognition that is capable of identifying 20 different scenes and making necessary adjustments to the camera's variables to produce better image quality.
- "Official prices for Samsung Galaxy Note9 in Indonesia revealed". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- Kastrenakes, Jacob (1 June 2018). "Samsung reportedly plans Galaxy Note9 announcement on August 9th". The Verge. Archived from the original on 3 June 2018. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "Galaxy Note9 Release Date and Features Revealed". Tom's Guide. 2 June 2018. Archived from the original on 3 June 2018. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- Snelling, David (3 June 2018). "Galaxy Note9 release revealed and this is date Samsung fans should put in their diary". Express.co.uk. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "Samsung Galaxy Note9 specs and features revealed in detailed hands-on". GSMArena.com. 28 June 2018. Retrieved 19 December 2018.
- "Samsung announces Galaxy Note9 event for August 9th". 27 June 2018.
- SamMobile. "Samsung CEO spotted using the Galaxy Note9 in public". SamMobile. Archived from the original on 24 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- Singh, Jagmeet (17 July 2018). "Samsung Mobile Chief DJ Koh Spotted Using Galaxy Note9". Gadgets360.com. NDTV. Archived from the original on 24 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- Rogerson, James (6 August 2018). "Samsung Galaxy Note9 retail box caught on camera". TechRadar. Archived from the original on 6 August 2018. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- Bell, Lee (6 August 2018). "Samsung Galaxy Note9 retail box snap leaks phone specs ahead of launch". V3. Archived from the original on 7 August 2018. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- "Samsung Galaxy Note9 retail box reveals full specs ahead of August 9 launch". India Today. Archived from the original on 6 August 2018. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- Dolcourt, Jessica (June 11, 2018). "The Galaxy Note 8 still does it all, but Samsung is set to top it soon". CNET. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "The fastest way to charge the Samsung Galaxy Note 9". Ventev. 25 March 2019. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- Barton, Michael (25 August 2018). "Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Ladeverhalten und das optimale Ladegerät/Powerbank – Techtest". techtest.org (in German). Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- "Qualcomm Quick Charge device list" (PDF). Qualcomm.
- "Updated: Samsung Galaxy Note 9 camera review". DXOMARK. 10 September 2018. Retrieved 5 August 2020.
- "Camera | Samsung Galaxy Note9". The Official Samsung Galaxy Site. Retrieved 5 August 2020.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 specification sheet on GSM Arena
- "13 tips and tricks for the Note 9's camera".
- "Samsung Galaxy Note9 release date, price, news and leaks". TechRadar. Archived from the original on May 12, 2018. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- "Upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note9 will ship with 6GB of RAM". Digital Trends. April 30, 2018. Archived from the original on June 9, 2018. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- "Samsung Galaxy Note9 Rumors: Release Date, Specs and More". Tom's Guide. 4 May 2018. Archived from the original on 10 May 2018. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Levenson, Josh (April 15, 2018). "Galaxy Note9 Price, Release Date and Specs: What you need to know". Trusted Reviews. Archived from the original on April 15, 2018. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- "Galaxy Note 9 keeps its cool during gaming with a 'water carbon cooling system'". SamMobile. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "World-first Samsung Galaxy Note9 teardown shows huge water cooling system". Phonearena. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "The Samsung Galaxy Note 9's S Pen has a clever rapid-charging "battery" with one tiny flaw". Phonearena. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "Galaxy Note9 S Pen - Stylus Pen with Android Remote Control | Samsung US". Samsung Electronics America. Archived from the original on 10 August 2018. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- SamMobile. "Galaxy Note 9 owners, your One UI 2.5 update is here!". SamMobile. Retrieved 10 February 2021.
- "The 5 features that make the Galaxy Note 9 great". AndroidAuthority. 18 August 2018. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Samsung Galaxy Note 9.|