Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is an Android smartphone developed by the Korean manufacturer Samsung Electronics. Announced on May 31, 2013 and released in July 2013, the S4 Mini is a mid-range model of its flagship Galaxy S4 smartphone and a successor to the Galaxy S III Mini. It has a similar hardware design and software features to its high-end counterpart.
The S4 Mini uses an almost identical variant of the Galaxy S4's polycarbonate hardware design. Internally, it features a dual-core 1.7 GHz Snapdragon 400 processor with 1.5 GB of RAM, 8 GB of expandable storage, and a 4.27 inch qHD (540 x 960 pixel) Super AMOLED screen. The S4 Mini also includes a 1.9-megapixel (MP) front-facing camera, and an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera.
Software & updates
Similarly to the S4, the S4 Mini comes with Android 4.2 and Samsung's TouchWiz software, although certain features present on the S4 are not available (such as Air Gestures, Air View, Multi-window, Smart Pause, Smart Rotation, and Smart Scroll).
The S4 mini got the android 4.4.2 'KitKat' update on June 2014, bringing some minor UI changes as seen on the Galaxy S4 and S4 Active.
When asked about whether the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini would get the Lollipop update on the 24 April 2015, the UK branch of the telecommunications operator 'Three' stated that it would not get the lollipop update, blaming on 'memory limitations'. However the Irish branch of 'Three' stated later on the very same day that the S4 Mini would indeed get the lollipop update and that it should start rolling out in the coming weeks. Even though with Samsung UK and US career Sprint confirming that the S4 mini will get the Lollipop update, several retweets from samsung itself suggests that this was misinformation stating that it had failed the initial test for the update.
The S4 mini version for most of Europe, Latin America, South Africa and few Asian countries contains a 1900 mAh, NFC-enabled battery, besides NFC is still standard on regular Galaxy S4 (both Exynos and Snapdragon variants).
The Galaxy S4 Mini is made available in:
- GSM & HSDPA (GT-I9190);
- LTE (GT-I9195), with NFC;
- GT-I9195L, exclusively for Latin America
- GT-I9195T, exclusively for Australia
- GT-I9195I, Value Edition (selected markets in Europe only)
- Dual SIM (GT-I9192), with 16 GB of internal memory in some regions;
- LTE (GT-I9197), without NFC;
- TD-SCDMA (GT-I9198).
- Canadian AWS LTE (SGH-I257M)
- Sprint (SPH-L520)
- Verizon (SCH-I435)
- U.S. Cellular (SCH-R890, SCH-R530U)
- AT&T (SGH-I257)
The S4 Mini was released on May 23, 2014 on AT&T, and it included Voice Over LTE capability to the network, has a the 4.27-inch Super AMOLED display with 540 x 960 pixels, which is a 258 pixel/inch density, and a dual-core processor clocked at 1.7GHz.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, GSMArena.com
- "Samsung Galaxy S4 mini preview: First look". GSMArena.com. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- List of devices with Gorilla Glass, Corning Inc.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini launched: All you need to know, firstpost.com
- "Display Size Galaxy S4 Mini". Samsung. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini review". Engadget. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- AT&T to launch VoLTE-based HD Voice May 23 on Samsung Galaxy S4 mini
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini.|
Samsung Galaxy S III Mini
|Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini