|Operating system||Android and Tizen|
Samsung Internet Browser (or simply Samsung Internet) is a mobile web browser for smartphones and tablets developed by Samsung Electronics. It is based on the open-source Chromium project. It is pre-installed on Samsung Galaxy devices. Since 2015, it has been available for download from Google Play, and recently it is also available for their Tizen-based smartwatch via the Samsung Galaxy Store. Samsung estimated that it had around 400 million monthly active users in 2016. According to StatCounter, it had a market share of around 4.98% (among 53.26% for all Chrome variants) around May 2018.
Samsung Internet replaced the stock Android browser as the default on Samsung Galaxy devices in 2012. Around early 2013, it was decided to base the browser on Chromium, and the first Chromium-based version was shipped with an S4 model later that year.
|Version||Chromium version||Release date||Notes|
|Version 4||Chromium 44||early 2016||secret mode, content cards, a floating video, a video history feature, web push, service workers, custom tabs, and a content blocker extension.|
|Version 5||Chromium 51||December 16, 2016||web payment and an enhanced video assistant.|
|Version 5.4||Chromium 51||Beta March 2017, Stable May 2017||tab navigation with a swipe gesture, a quick menu, an enhanced navigation page (China only), and a content blocker status UI (in menu).|
|Version 6.2||Chromium 56||October 30, 2017||high contrast mode and night mode.|
|Version 6.4||Chromium 56||February 19, 2018||download manager and enabled Web Bluetooth by default.|
|Version 7.2||Chromium 59||June 7, 2018||WebGL2, Intersection Observer, Web Assembly and Protected Browsing.|
|Version 7.4||Chromium 59||August 19, 2018||authentication with Intelligent Scan, a customised Reader Mode and Download History improvements.|
|Version 8.2||Chromium 63||December 21, 2018||improved Download Manager, an improved Reader Mode, bug fixes and stabilization, and quick access sync via Smart Switch.|
|Version 9.2||Chromium 67||April 2, 2019||removed the "video assistant" extension that was added in previous versions as a "quick menu", adding a redesigned app icon, a further redesigned user interface and respective one-handedness, Smart Anti-Tracking, an option to turn on Save All Images, as well as bug fixes and stabilization.|
|Version 184.108.40.206||Chromium 67||May 19, 2019||a +10 and -10 sec seek function for YouTube web videos, optimized RAM usage, and fixed two bugs affecting Dark Mode and the Iris auto login in DeX Mode.|
|Version 9.4||Chromium 67||July 22, 2019||a QR Code reader, a Tab manager for tablet devices, a Notification manager for Web pushes, History navigation in each tab, video autoplay control, a Rename function while doing "add to home screen", and a Pause/Resume function for "Save all images", in addition to bug fixes and stabilization.|
|Version 10.1.00.27||Chromium 71||September 8, 2019||Quick Access data synchronization and an even furthered refined user interface, and including bug fixes and stabilization.|
|Version 10.1.01.3||Chromium 71||October 3, 2019||fixed bugs affecting mirroring in Bookmarks, History and Saved pages for right-to-left languages and refined the user interface again.|
|Version 10.2.00.53||Chromium 71||November 24, 2019||Video assistant, a Contact us icon, a feature which allows which apps use Samsung Internet, a customizable menu, a renewed Tab manager, a once again refined user interface, an improved high contrast mode and bug fixes and stabilizations.|
|Version 10.2.01.10||Chromium 71||January 14, 2020||an optional Picture-In-Picture video, fingerprint-enabled Easy sign-in in Samsung DeX stand-alone mode, an enhanced scroll capture and fixes crashes caused by certain conditions.|
|Version 220.127.116.11||Chromium 75||February 25, 2020||Browser Extensions, (which require Android Marshmallow or later and a Galaxy Store account), a redesigned Go to Top button and UI, Quick access, bug fixes and stabilization, and improving performance.|
|Version 18.104.22.168||Chromium 79||June 19, 2020||Open links in secret mode from the context menu, more password manager apps are allowed to autofill ID and passwords, and stability and security improvements.|
The later version (v6.2) of Samsung Internet for Android supports all Android 5.0 and above phones.
- Content blocking extensions
- Gear VR and DeX integration
- KNOX Support
- Open Tabs and Bookmark Sync
- ad blocking
- Reading Mode
- Saved Pages
- “Secret mode” and biometric authentication (unavailable in Knox-tripped devices)
- Secure Web Auto Login
- SPen features
- find on pages
- Support for service workers and Push API
- Dark Mode
- Customise Menu
- Video Assistant
- QR code scanner
- Smart anti tracking
- "Introducing Samsung Internet v6.2 stable". Samsung Developers. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Get Samsung's Internet Browser on Almost Any Android Device". Gadget Hacks. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Mobile Browser Market Share Worldwide". StatCounter. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Overview for Gear VR". Samsung Developers. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Samsung Internet for Gear VR Update Makes Browsing More Immersive". Samsung Newsroom. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "Samsung Internet Overview". Samsung Developers. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet browser will get 'Smart Go Next' for better form navigation, also coming to Chrome". Android Police. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet for Android 4.0 Release Note". Samsung Newsroom. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet 4.0 and Cross App Boost Functionality for Galaxy Devices with Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update". Samsung Newsroom. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet for Android 5.0 Release Note". Samsung Developers. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Announcing Samsung Internet 5.0". Medium. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet Beta now available without sign up". Medium. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Announcing Samsung Internet v5.4 stable!". Medium. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet for Android 5.4 Release Note". Samsung Developers. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet for Android 6.2 Release Note". Samsung Developers. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet v6.2 Now Stable!". Medium. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet for Android 6.4 Release Note". Samsung Developers. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "Let's connect with Samsung Internet v6.4 stable!". Medium. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "7.2 Stable is Here!". Medium. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "Samsung Internet 7.4 is stable—let's check-out what's new". Medium. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "8.2 Stable Release is out the Door". Medium. Retrieved 2018-12-30.
- "9.4 is Here!". Medium. Retrieved 2020-01-09.
- "Samsung Internet 10.2 Beta". Medium. Retrieved 2020-01-09.
- "Samsung Internet for Android 12 Release Notes". Samsung Developers. Retrieved 2020-07-29.
- "Samsung Internet v6.2 is Now Stable, Adds Night Mode, Tracking Blocker and More". XDA Developers. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet v6.2 is Now Stable, Adds Night Mode, Tracking Blocker and More". Medium. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung is now allowing users to install ad blockers on its phones". BGR. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet for Gear VR Overview". Samsung Developers. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Samsung Internet 4.0 rolling out to older Galaxy devices and variants running Lollipop". 9to5Google. Retrieved 2018-04-08.