126.96.36.19911.2 (8 January 2016[±]
|Operating system||Windows, Mac OS X|
Samsung Kies // is a freeware software application used to communicate between Windows or Macintosh operating systems, and more recently manufactured Samsung mobile phone and tablet computer devices, usually using a USB connection (though wireless LAN Kies connectivity is now possible using some devices). Samsung has released new software to replace Kies, which is named Samsung Smart Switch and mainly directed at migrating customers onto new Samsung devices. The name K.I.E.S. originated as an acronym for "Key Intuitive Easy System". After version 2.0, the name was shortened to "Kies"
This section needs to be updated.(April 2015)
Kies is available in several versions and editions, depending on the specific Samsung device and the OS it is running. Kies3 (version 3.x) supports devices with Android Jelly Bean (4.3 and up). Kies (currently in version 188.8.131.5274_11) supports devices with Android 2.1 through 4.2. Trying to use Kies with newer devices, or Kies3 with older devices, will result in an error message.
There is also a Kies Mini version, which is available only for specific devices such as Samsung Vibrant, Captivate or Infuse. It is used to update these devices' operating systems (OS versions). Though there are both Windows and Mac(intosh) versions of the full Kies product, there is only a Windows version of Kies Mini for most Samsung devices; however, non-Windows users may overcome this limitation by using a Windows virtual machine, installing Kies Mini within it and connecting a Samsung device via USB cable to accomplish the OS update.. On Windows devices, the file transfer happens via a plug-and-play mode. Note that since 2012, Intel processors mounted the Cache Acceleration Software, which was tuned by system administrators when connected with SSD cards.
Though Kies connectivity has traditionally been via mini or micro-USB cable (needing of some software, and not plug and play), wireless LAN connectivity between a Samsung device on which the Kies Wireless Android app is running, and any Windows or Macintosh computer running the Kies full version, is now also possible. The Kies Wireless app also supports wireless connectivity with other devices via said other devices' web browsers. All such connectivity, though, must be via a local Wi-Fi connection (and not via cellular 2G, 3G, or 4G data networks) wherein all involved devices are on the same Wi-Fi LAN.
The full version of Kies may be downloaded from the Samsung Global Download Center or from the download part of an individual mobile device's technical support web page on the Samsung website. With few exceptions, it is usually only the Kies Mini version, and not the full version, which is typically downloadable from a given Samsung device.
Smart Switch is part of a technical and commercial strategy finalized to connect all electronics in an unique semi-automation system, which is managed via a smartphone central app of Samsung.
Since 2012, most of the Intel product line just mounted the Cache Acceleration Software, both as an accelerator and a temporary database in connection with the parallel subsystem named Intel Management Engine (with ring-3 privilege inside the device).
Android File Transfer for Linux is a FOSS app, stable since version 2.2., though FOSS has somewhere (e.g. on GitHub) protected under the copyright law, and subject to file robots.txt mirroring exclusions.
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This software may be used for:
- Data backup
- Data transfer (between a Windows or Mac PC, and a Samsung mobile device), limited to certain media file formats
- Multimedia (audio, photos, video, etc.) management, but limited to certain file formats; for example, Kies does not recognise .avi files
- Purchase/acquisition of additional or special device features
- Device firmware and operating system (OS version) upgrades
|OS||CPU||RAM||HDD space||Screen resolution||Required software|
|Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1||Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2.1 GHz processor or higher (recommended)||2 GB recommended||At least 500 MB||1366 × 768 (600), 32 bit or above||.NET Framework 4.6.1 or later, Windows Media Player 12 or later, DirectX 11 or above|
|Mac OS 10.6 (*Samsung Kies mini)||1.8 GHz Intel or faster processor||1 GB or more||30 MB of available hard disk space||Wave (GT-S8500) Firmware upgrade is available for bada 1.2 or later. Wave II (GT-S8530)|
- on YouTube
- "Kies 3.0 Unsupported Device Alert". Samsung Electronics.
- "Kies Mini Download". Softpedia.
- "Feature Comparison by OS version: 'What Features Does Samsung Kies Have?'". Samsung Electronics.
- Raphael, JR (August 9, 2017). "How to move data between your phone and computer". Computerworld. Archived from the original on August 9, 2017.
- "Kies air (Android app)". Google Play Store. Samsung Electronics.
- "Sync Your Life with Kies". Samsung Electronics.
- "Manuals & Downloads". Samsung Electronics.
- Niccolai, James (January 5, 2014). "Samsung Smart Home aims to control TVs, refrigerators with a single app". Archived from the original on April 17, 2016.
- "Lean and independent rolling distro of Linux-KDE". KaOS. Retrieved June 18, 2018.