Samuel Bancroft House
|Location||232 West St., Reading, Massachusetts|
|Architectural style||Georgian, Other|
|NRHP Reference #|||
|Added to NRHP||July 19, 1984|
The Samuel Bancroft House is a historic house at 232 West Street in Reading, Massachusetts. With an estimated construction date of 1748, it is one of the town's older surviving house, and one of a small number from the late colonial period. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Description and history
The Samuel Bancroft House stands in a residential area of western Reading, on the west side of West Street a short way north of its junction with Wescroft Road. Unlike later infill residential construction which surrounds it, the house is oriented with its main facade facing south instead of toward the street. It is a 2-1/2 story wood frame structure, with a gabled roof and exterior of clapboards (on the front) and wooden shingles (on the sides and rear). It has a symmetrical five-bay facade, with a center entrance that is sheltered by a 20th-century hip-roofed vestibule. The second-floor windows are set high, butting against the top plate in a typical Georgian fashion. The right side has a 20th-century bay window replacing one of the window bays.
The house was built about 1748, and may incorporate portions of an even older building. It was built by Samuel Bancroft, a locally prominent civic leader, who purchased the property, then extending all the way to County Road, in 1748. The house was later owned by Ephraim Weston, a businessman who built another house nearby and turned this house over to his son. It is the oldest home located in Reading's West Street Historic District.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Reading, Massachusetts
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "NRHP nomination for Samuel Bancroft House". Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "Reading, MA Historic District Commission". http://www.readingma.gov/sites/readingma/files/file/file/weststhistoricdistrict.pdf.
- "List of Properties in Historic District". http://www.readingma.gov/sites/readingma/files/uploads/list_of_historic_district_properties.pdf.