Samuel Benjamin Auchmuty
He was the second son of Samuel Auchmuty and his wife Elizabeth, only daughter of Francis Savage. Auchmuty entered the British Army as ensign in 1797 and served first in the French Revolutionary Wars and subsequently in the Napoleonic Wars. He was lieutenant of the 68th Regiment of Foot in 1800 and was promoted to captain in 1805. A year later Auchmuty was transferred to the 70th Regiment of Foot and in 1807 to the 7th Regiment of Foot. In 1810, he was appointed deputy assistant adjutant-general and attached to the 6th Infantry Division. He became Aide-de-camp to Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole in July 1813 and was promoted to major in October of the same year. Auchmuty fought in the Battle of Orthez in February 1814 and in the Battle of Toulouse in April, for which he received the Army Gold Medal and was made a brevet lieutenant-colonel.
Auchmuty became colonel in 1831 and major-general 1841. He was transferred to the general staff in India in 1848, became colonel of the 65th Regiment of Foot in February 1851 was promoted to lieutenant-general in November. In 1855, Auchmuty was appointed colonel of his old regiment, the 7th foot, and following the death of Sir Robert John Harvey was promoted finally to general in 1860. He was awarded a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath in 1857 and a Knight Grand Cross in 1861.
- Sylvanus, Urban (1868). The Gentleman's Magazine. part I. London: Bradbury, Evans & Co. pp. 788–789.
- Dod, Robert P. (1860). The Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage of Great Britain and Ireland. London: Whitaker and Co. pp. 97–97.
- John Philippart, ed. (1820). The Royal Military Calendar or Army Service and Commission Book. vol. V (3rd ed.). London: A. J. Valpy. pp. 25–26.
- The London Gazette: . 24 November 1841. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- Hart, H. G. (1855). John Bernhard Burke, ed. The New Army List and Militia List. London: John Murray. p. 117.
- The London Gazette: . 7 February 1851. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 11 November 1851. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 13 March 1855. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 3 July 1860. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 2 January 1857. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 28 June 1861. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
|Colonel of the 65th (2nd Yorkshire, North Riding) Regiment of Foot
1851 – 1855
Sir George Brown
|Colonel of the 7th (Royal Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot
1855 – 1868
Sir Richard Airey