|Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California|
November 1, 1987 – October 30, 2015
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California|
October 16, 1970 – November 1, 1987
|Appointed by||Richard M. Nixon|
|Preceded by||New seat|
|Succeeded by||Fern M. Smith|
July 16, 1922 |
Los Angeles, California
|Alma mater||University of Santa Clara (B.S.)
Stanford Law School (LL.B.)
Samuel Conti (born July 16, 1922) is a former United States federal judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
Conti was born in Los Angeles, California. He received a B.S. from the University of Santa Clara in 1945. He received an LL.B. from Stanford Law School in 1948. He was in private practice in San Francisco, California from 1948 to 1967. He was Chairman of the Civil Service Board of Appeals in Pittsburg, California from 1956 to 1958. He was city attorney of Concord, California from 1960 to 1969. He was a judge on the Contra Costa County Superior Court from 1968 to 1970.
Conti was a federal judge on the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. Conti was nominated by President Richard M. Nixon on October 7, 1970, to a new seat created by 84 Stat. 294. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on October 13, 1970, and received his commission on October 16, 1970. He assumed senior status on November 1, 1987. He was known as "Hanging Sam" due to his penchant for sentencing convicts to death, at times complaining when the ruling was not legally available to him. Conti retired from active service on October 30, 2015.
- Grimes, William (2017-05-12). "Nicholas Sand, Chemist Who Sought to Bring LSD to the World, Dies at 75". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-05-14.
- Mintz, Howard (October 1, 2015). "Bay Area's longest serving federal judge stepping down". Contra Costa Times. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- Iovino, Nicholas (October 23, 2015). "SF Federal Judge Samuel Conti, 93, Set to Retire". Courthouse News Service. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- "Northern District of California's Longest Serving Judge Retires". Ninth Circuit Public Information Office. United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. November 12, 2015. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- "Senior Judge Samuel Conti, the Northern District's Longest-Serving Judge, Retires". United States District Court for the Northern District of California. November 12, 2015. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- Samuel Conti at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California
Fern M. Smith
|This biography of a judge in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|