Samuel Friedrich Stein
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Samuel Friedrich Nathaniel Ritter von Stein (November 3, 1818 – January 9, 1885) was a German entomologist. He was Professor at the Royal Saxon Academy of Forestry in Tharandt from 1850–55; and Professor, and later Rector, at the Charles University in Prague, from 1855–76. His scientific work focused on invertebrates, and mainly on Diptera.
Early life, education, and family
He completed his studies in 1841, conducting doctoral work at the University of Berlin.
On May 29, 1844, in Berlin, he married Emma Johanne Couard Ottilie (born December 30, 1823, in Berlin; died 2 September 1903, in Asch). The couple had nine children. The next to last, daughter Adelheid von Stein (born May 25, 1859), married Joseph Neuwirth.
Stein was appointed as Curator of the Zoological Museum at the University of Berlin, in 1849.
Formal education in forestry began about 1840 when private forestry schools were established. These were the outgrowth of the old master schools. The forestry college at Tharandt developed from Cotta Master School. Though not of the same order, Tharandt had close connections with the French National School of Forestry, which had been established in Nancy, France, in 1825.
The work at Tharandt, under Stein's supervision was of a very high order, thoroughly professional and of very high technical standards.
In 1855, he became professor at the Charles University in Prague, where he worked until retirement. He served as Rector of the university in the 1875–76 academic year.
- De Myriapodum partibus genitalibus, nova generationis theoria atque introductione systematica adjectis. Dissertatio inauguralis zoologica quam [...] in Alma Universitate Litteraria Friderica-Guilielma [... (16.Aug. 1841) ] publice defendet auctor, Berlin: Brandes et Klewert, 1841 OCLC 819304597
- Die lebenden Schnecken und Muscheln der Umgegend Berlins, Berlin: Reimer, 1850 OCLC 1042989804
- Die Infusionsthiere auf ihre Entwicklungsgeschichte untersucht, Leipzig: Engelmann, 1854 OCLC 898417223
- Der Organismus der Infusionsthiere nach eigenen Forschungen in Systematischer Reihenfolge, Leipzig: Wilhelm Engelmann
- I. Abtheilung. Allgemeiner theil und Naturgeschichte der Hypotrichen Infusionsthiere, 1859 OCLC 475289589
- II. Abtheilung. 1) Darstellung der neuesten Forschungsergebnisse über Bau, Fortpflanzung und Entwickelung der Infusionsthiere 2) Naturgeschichte der Heterotrichen Infusorien, 1867 OCLC 469003334
- III. Abtheilung. Die Naturgeschichte der Flagellaten oder Geisselinfusorien.
- Über die Hauptergebnisse der Infusorienforschungen. Ein Vortrag, Vienna: Staatsdruckerei, 1863 OCLC 162277404
| Rector of Charles University in Prague
Karl von Czyhlarz
|This article about a forestry researcher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|