Dr. Samuel D. Kassow (born 1946) is an American historian of the history of Ashkenazi Jewry. He was born in a displaced persons' camp in Stuttgart, Germany. His mother survived because a classmate hid her and her sister in a dug-out underneath the barn on his family's farm, whilst his father was arrested by the Russians and spent the duration of the war in a Soviet prison camp. He grew up in New Haven, Connecticut. Kassow earned his B.A. from Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut, in 1966, his M.Sc. from the London School of Economics in 1968, and his Ph.D. from Princeton University in 1976. He is married to Lisa Kassow, director of the Zachs Hillel House at Trinity College. He has two daughters named Miri and Serena. Kassow was the Charles Northam Professor at Trinity College for many years.
In his book, Who Will Write Our History? Rediscovering a Hidden Archive From the Warsaw Ghetto , Kassow speaks about the importance of preserving historical documents and the past. He describes the historical events going on during World War II in the 1940s that affected and eventually eliminated the Warsaw Ghetto. His main focus is the Ringelblum Archive created in absolute secrecy by a small group of people that lived in the Warsaw Ghetto which were uncovered and studied about ten years later.
In 2014, Indiana University Press and the United states Holocaust Museum , published The Clandestine History of the Kovno Jewish Ghetto Police. with an introduction by Kassow.
His 2007 book Who Will Write Our History is currently being adapted to a documentary film of the same title, directed by Roberta Grossman and produced by Nancy Spielberg. It is set to be released in 2017.
- Students, Professors, and the State inTsarist Russia: 1884-1917, University of California Press, 1989. ISBN 0-520-05760-0.
- Between Tsar and People: the Search for a Public Identity in Tsarist Russia. Edith Clowes, Samuel Kassow, James L. West eds. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ 1991. ISBN 0-691-03153-3.
- The Distinctive Life of East European Jewry, YIVO, New York 2004
- Who will Write our History: Emanuel Ringelblum and the Oyneg Shabes Archive, Indiana University Press, 2007
- No Happy Ending; Centerpiece of Jewish Film Fest Is an Unsentimental Look at the Holocaust in Hungary, Hartford Courant, SUSAN DUNNE, March 16, 2006
- Remembering the Holocaust Delegates Journey Overseas For Memorial Ceremony, Hartford Courant, KATHLEEN GORMAN, May 12, 1995
- Survivors' son will discuss 'cultural resistance' at Yom HaShoah event, Zak Mazur, Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle, March 29th, 2002 
- RESIDENTS HONORED FOR 'REPAIRING WORLD,' Hartford Courant, Michael Raciti, May 18, 2008
- CT News (June 8, 2010), Samuel Kassow elected to American Academy for Jewish Research Jewish Ledger, Connecticut Edition. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- Kassow, Samuel. "Interview With Samuel Kassow." Interview with Marshall Poe. Audio blog post. New Books in History. 30 Jan. 2009. 07 May 2009.