Samuel W. Johnson
|Samuel W. Johnson|
14 October 1831|
Bramley, Yorkshire, England
14 January 1912 (aged 80)|
|Resting place||Church (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham|
|Education||Leeds Grammar School|
|Children||Son, James Johnson|
|Parent(s)||Father, James Johnson|
Samuel Waite Johnson (14 October 1831 – 14 January 1912) was an English railway engineer, and was Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the Midland Railway from 1873 to 1903. He was born in Bramley, Yorkshire and educated at Leeds Grammar School.
Johnson learned to become an engineer at the locomotive builders E.B.Wilson and Company.
In 1859 Johnson became Acting Locomotive Superintendent at the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. In 1864 he was appointed Locomotive Superintendent of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. In 1866, after only two years in Scotland he replaced Robert Sinclair of the Great Eastern Railway (GER) at Stratford Works. There he stayed for seven years until moving to the Midland Railway (MR) at Derby, where he stayed until his retirement in 1904. At the time of appointment to the Midland Railway on 1 July 1873, he was paid a salary of £2,000 per year, rising to £3,500 in 1896 where it remained until his retirement on 31 December 1903.
Great Eastern Railway
- 115 Class 4-2-2 ("Spinners")
- Class 4 Compound 4-4-0
- 179 Class
- 483 Class
- 1116A Class 0-4-0ST
- 1377 Class 0-6-0T
- 1738 Class
- 2228 Class 0-4-4T
- 2441 Class 0-6-0T
- Class 2 & 3 Goods engines 0-6-0
- 2501 Class – 30 2-6-0 locomotives built at the Baldwin Locomotive Works, USA
- 2511 Class – 10 2-6-0 locomotives built at the Schenectady Locomotive Works, USA
S. W. Johnson's father, James Johnson, worked for the Great Northern Railway (GNR) for sixteen years before becoming engineer of the North Staffordshire Railway (NSR). S. W. Johnson's son, also James Johnson, was locomotive superintendent of the Great North of Scotland Railway (GNSR) from 1890-1894.
- "Midland Railway locomotive engineers". Steamindex.com. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "Samuel Waite Johnson". Lner.info. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- National Archive RAIL 491, accessed on 2014-02-21 via ancestry.co.uk UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956 for Samuel Waite Johnson
- "Samuel Waite Johnson". Steamindex.com. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "James Johnson". Lner.info. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
| Locomotive Superintendent of the
Great Eastern Railway
| Chief Mechanical Engineer of Midland Railway
|Professional and academic associations|
Edward Windsor Richards
| President of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
Sir William Henry White