Samuel the Lamanite
This article uncritically uses texts from within a religion or faith system without referring to secondary sources that critically analyze them. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Part of a series on the|
|Book of Mormon|
According to the Book of Mormon, Samuel the Lamanite is a prophet who lived in the ancient Americas, sent by Jesus Christ around 5 BC to teach and warn the Nephites just before his birth in the Old World. The account is recorded in Helaman 13-16.
After attempting to preach to the people in Zarahemla, and being rejected, he was told by revelation to return and prophesy to the people. He was not allowed into the city. In one of the more iconic stories of the Book of Mormon, he preached on the wall of the city, calling the people to repentance for their sins, prophesying about the impending advent of Jesus Christ in the Old World, and warning of the destruction of the Nephite nation. The people in the city tried to kill him by throwing stones and shooting arrows, but he was protected from harm by divine providence.
|Highlights in the Ministry of Samuel the Lamanite|
|Prophecy of Samuel to the Nephites||Helaman 13-15|
|Comes into Zarahemla|
|Speaks words of the Lord|
|Foretells signs of Christ's birth|
|Foretells signs of Christ's death||Helaman 14:14, 20-28|
|Teaches of resurrection and redemption|
|Those who believe desire baptism|
|Many are angry and try to kill Samuel||Helaman 16:2, 6|
|Prophecies all fulfilled|
In popular media
- Book of Helaman (from The Book of Mormon)
- "Donny Osmond Sheds Dreamcoat To Star in Mormon Pageant July 11-19", Playbill, 12 July 1997, archived from the original on 3 December 2012, retrieved 2013-03-14
- "Donny Osmond is sticking to his spiritual guns", Names in the News, Associated Press, 8 July 1997, retrieved 2013-03-14
- Brown, S. Kent (1998). "The Prophetic Laments of Samuel the Lamanite". From Jerusalem to Zarahemla: Literary and Historical Studies of the Book of Mormon. Provo, Utah: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University. p. 128–145. ISBN 1-57008-560-9.
- Samuel, Index to the Triple Combination, LDS.org
- Audio. BYU Book of Mormon Discussions: Episode 43 "Samuel the Lamanite"