Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru
|Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru|
Cover art for Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru from its debut in Weekly Shōnen Jump in 2019
(Samurai Eito: Hachimaruden)
|Genre||Adventure, samurai, science fiction|
|Written by||Masashi Kishimoto|
|Illustrated by||Akira Ōkubo|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump|
|Original run||May 13, 2019 – present|
Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru (Japanese: サムライ8 八丸伝 Hepburn: Samurai Eito: Hachimaruden) is a Japanese shōnen manga series created, written, and storyboarded by Masashi Kishimoto and illustrated by Akira Ōkubo. It has been serialized in Shueisha's Weekly Shōnen Jump since May 2019. In North America, Viz Media publishes the series on the Shonen Jump platform, while Shueisha publishes it on the Manga Plus plataform.
In an interview published in the October issue of Kadokawa's Entermix on August 20, 2015, Kishimoto discussed the ideas for his next work after finishing his famous long-running series Naruto in November 2014. He stated that his new work would be a science fiction manga and he had already finalized the character designs. In the same interview he stated that his next work possibly would not be a weekly serialization, due to a muscle strain put on him by the weekly serialization of Naruto. In an interview published by Jump Giga in August 2016, Kishimoto stated that he already planned his next work and he has already done research for it. In December 2017, at the Jump Festa '18 Boruto: Naruto Next Generations stage panel, Kishimoto displayed several layouts art sequences that he drew for his new work, with a planned 2018 debut for the Weekly Shōnen Jump's 50th anniversary.
During the Jump Festa 2019 event in December 2018, Samurai 8: Hachimaruden was formally announced. The new collaboration between Kishimoto and his former assistant Akira Ōkubo was set to debut in Weekly Shōnen Jump in spring 2019. At the event, Naruto's voice actress Junko Takeuchi read a comment from Kishimoto, which stated that the new manga will combine his love for Japanese culture and aesthetics with his love for science fiction settings and technology. Regarding the length of the series, Kishimoto currently plans to run it for around 10 volumes.
Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru is created, written, and storyboarded by Masashi Kishimoto and illustrated by Akira Ōkubo, who had been an assistant of Kishimoto's on Naruto from the early 2000s till the series' end. It begin serialization in Shueisha's Weekly Shōnen Jump on May 13, 2019, being the first series in the magazine published in the Japanese Reiwa period. A four page preview of the manga was released in the magazine's combined issue #22-23 on April 27, being the final issue published in the Heisei period. In North America, Viz Media published the preview chapter and publishes new chapters simultaneously with the releases in Japan on the Shonen Jump platform, while Shueisha publishes it on the Manga Plus platform.
- "The First Key" (1つめの鍵 Ichi-tsume no Kagi)
- "Visitor from the Sky" (空からの訪問者 Sora kara no Hōmon-sha)
- "Cutting the Tank" (戦車入刀 Sensha Nyūtō)
- "Family Argument" (親子ゲンカ Oyako Genka)
- "Departure" (出発 Shuppatsu)
- "Samurai of Fate" (運命の侍様 Unmei no Samurai-sama)
- "Encounter" (出会い Deai)
- "Take It Slowly" (ゆっくりでよい Yukkuri Deyoi)
- "Together…" (ふたりで… Futari de…)
- "Target Acquired" (ターゲット捕捉 Tāgetto Hosoku)
- "Read Samurai 8 Manga Free - Official Shonen Jump From Japan". Viz Media. Retrieved May 9, 2019.
- Luster, Joseph (April 22, 2019). "Naruto Creator Masashi Kishimoto's New Samurai 8 Manga to Be Previewed in Jump". Crunchyroll. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (August 23, 2015). "Naruto's Masashi Kishimoto Considers Writing Sci-Fi Series Next". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- "エンタミクスに「NARUTO」岸本斉史インタビュー、モコナなど謎生物特集も". Natalie (in Japanese). August 20, 2015. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Rafael Antonio Pineda (August 17, 2016). "Naruto's Masashi Kishimoto: May Announce Next Project This Year". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Loo, Egan (December 17, 2017). "Naruto Manga Creator Masashi Kishimoto Teases New Work in 2018". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (December 23, 2018). "Naruto's Masashi Kishimoto Partners with Illustrator Akira Ōkubo to Launch Samurai 8 Manga (Updated with Video)". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- "'Naruto' author Kishimoto's new 'Samurai 8' set to debut this spring". Asahi Shimbun. February 7, 2019. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Valdez, Nick (May 6, 2019). "Naruto Creator Reveals How Long He Wants Samurai 8 to Be". ComicBook. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- "「ＮＡＲＵＴＯ―ナルト―」作者・岸本斉史さん 新連載『サムライ８（エイト）八丸伝（ハチマルデン）』スタート 君も完璧じゃなくていい" [Naruto Creator Masashi Kishimoto Launches New Series Samurai 8, Hopes It Isn't Perfect]. Yomiuri Shimbun (in Japanese). May 3, 2019. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- ""The Making of a Jump Manga!" — Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru". Project : Interviewing editors at MangaPlus (vol.3). Manga Plus. Shueisha.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (April 27, 2019). "Shonen Jump Magazine Starts 4 New Manga in Next 4 Issues". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 27, 2019.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (April 21, 2019). "Masashi Kishimoto, Akira Ōkubo Launch 'Preview' of New Samurai 8 Manga on April 27 (Updated)". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Rafael Antonio Pineda (April 26, 2019). "Samurai 8 Manga Preview Chapter Debuts on English Shonen Jump Site on Friday". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 26, 2019.
- Sherman, Jennifer (May 13, 2019). "Viz Media's Shonen Jump Adds Samurai 8 Manga". Anime News Network. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- Schley, Matt (April 17, 2019). "Samurai 8, New Manga from Naruto Creator, Launches Next Month". Otaku USA. Retrieved May 6, 2019.