SanDisk headquarters in Milpitas, California
|Founders||Eli Harari, Sanjay Mehrotra and Jack Yuan|
|Headquarters||Milpitas, California, United States|
|Sanjay Mehrotra (President & CEO)|
USB flash drives
Portable media players
SanDisk is an American manufacturer of flash memory products, including memory cards and readers, USB flash drives, and solid state drives. As of February 2015[update], it is third-largest manufacturer of flash memory.
SanDisk was founded in 1988 by Eli Harari, Sanjay Mehrotra and Jack Yuan. SanDisk co-founder Eli Harari developed the Floating Gate EEPROM which proved the practicality, reliability and endurance of semiconductor-based data storage.
- In October 2005, Sandisk acquired Matrix Semiconductor.
- In July 2006, SanDisk acquired M-Systems.
- In May 2011, SanDisk acquired Pilant Technology, a manufacturer of solid state drives, for US$327 million.
- In February 2012, SanDisk acquired FlashSoft.
- In June 2012, SanDisk acquired Schooner Information Technology, developer of the flash-optimized database software SchoonerSQL and caching software Membrain.
- In July 2013, SanDisk acquired SMART Storage Systems, a producer of SSDs for the enterprise market, for US$307 million.
- In June 2014, Sandisk acquired Fusion-io, a producer of flash memory for enterprise datacenters, for $1.1 billion.
Awards and recognition
- In 2014, SanDisk co-founder Harari won the National Medal of Technology and Innovation from President Barack Obama for his innovations and contributions to flash memory storage solutions.
- In 2012, the Enough Project ranked SanDisk the third highest of 24 consumer electronics companies on "progress on conflict minerals".
Other products and technologies
- "Western Digital to acquire SanDisk for $19B". USA Today. Gannett Company. October 21, 2015. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Western Digital officially closes SanDisk acquisition". The Verge. Vox Media. May 12, 2016. Retrieved August 3, 2016.
- Harris, Scott Duke (2008-07-13). "Mercury News interview: SanDisk CEO helped launch digital revolution". The San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "Santa Clara Valley Chapter Meeting: 'Future Directions for Semiconductor Non-Volatile Memory". Santa Clara University: IEEE Electron Devices Society. January 16, 1990.
- "SanDisk to acquire Matrix Semiconductor". CNET. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "SanDisk To Buy msystems". The Street. 2006-07-31. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2006-08-21.
- "SanDisk Plans To Buy SSD Maker Pliant Technology". CRN.com. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "SanDisk Buys Schooner, Moves Into Enterprise Software Space". CRN.com. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "SanDisk acquires SMART Storage Systems for $307 million". ZDNet. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "SanDisk to Acquire Troubled Fusion-io for $1.2 Billion". Recode. Vox Media. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- Fairsmith, Christine (Oct 24, 2014). "ELI HARARI '73 RECEIVES HONOR FROM PRESIDENT OBAMA". Princeton. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- Lezhnev, Sasha; Alex Hellmuth (Aug 2012). "Taking Conflict Out of Consumer Gadgets: Company Rankings on Conflict Minerals 2012" (PDF). Enough Project. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SanDisk.|
|This corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|