San Diego 1904 FC
|Full name||San Diego 1904 FC|
|Founded||June 26, 2017|
|Stadium||Torero Stadium (temporary)|
|Owners||Demba Ba, Eden Hazard, Yohan Cabaye, Moussa Sow, Vagno Chandara, Alexandre Gontran, Bob Watkins|
The name 1904 was suggested by a fan, and refers to the initials "S" (the 19th letter) and "D" (the fourth letter). Commenters on social media pointed out that the number could also be seen as a reference to a joke in the film Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, leading journalists to suggest that reference may have been intentional.
The club's founders included soccer players Demba Ba, Eden Hazard, Yohan Cabaye, and Moussa Sow. The club intended to build a soccer stadium in Oceanside, approximately 40 miles north of downtown San Diego, and to play at the University of San Diego's Torero Stadium in the meantime.
The team was originally announced to make its debut in the North American Soccer League in 2018. However, due to the cancellation of the 2018 NASL season, the expansion team withdrew from the NASL and attempted to reach an agreement to join the United Soccer League in 2019. On June 7, 2018, it was revealed that 1904 FC's exclusive negotiating window had elapsed without agreement in place to join USL. On September 6, 2018, the National Independent Soccer Association (NISA), a planned Division III league, confirmed that San Diego 1904 FC was the league's first member club. NISA has applied to the United States Soccer Federation (U.S. Soccer) for sanctioning as a Division III league to start play in 2019.
- "The Founders of San Diego NASL". San Diego NASL. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- Zeigler, Mark (October 18, 2017). "San Diego's NASL soccer team unveils name". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "About 1904 FC". 1904 FC. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- Gartland, Dan (October 18, 2017). "Is San Diego's NASL Team Named for an Anchorman Reference?". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved October 19, 2017.
- "San Diego's NASL team name is NOT an 'Anchorman' reference, unless it is". FourFourTwo. October 18, 2017. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- Hamblin, Abby (October 17, 2017). "Is San Diego's new soccer team's name an 'Anchorman' reference, or not?". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- Warren, Andy (October 18, 2017). "San Diego 1904 is born as club owners Eden Hazard, Demba Ba, and Yohan Cabaye unveil name, crest and colours... but was the title inspired by Ron Burgundy in Anchorman?". dailymail.co.uk. The Daily Mail. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- Ziegler, Mark (October 25, 2017). "New pro soccer team to build stadium in ..." San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved February 6, 2018.
- "NASL Announces Expansion Club In San Diego For 2018 Season". North American Soccer League. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- Zeigler, Mark (February 27, 2018). "San Diego's 1904 FC soccer team to join USL after NASL cancels season". sandiegouniontribune.com. San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "1904 FC Ownership Group Issues Official Statement on Tuesday". 1904 FC. February 27, 2018.
- "USL denies expansion application for San Diego pro soccer team 1904 FC". Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Kivlehan, Chris (September 6, 2018). "NISA Tones Down Visionary Rhetoric As It Seeks USSF Sanctioning". Midfield Press. Retrieved September 29, 2018.
- Kivlehan, Chris (September 4, 2018). "NISA Submits Application for Division III Pro League Sanctioning". Midfield Press. Retrieved September 29, 2018.
|This article about a soccer club from California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|