San Diego Toreros men's basketball
|San Diego Toreros|
|University||University of San Diego|
|Head coach||Sam Scholl (2nd season)|
|Conference||West Coast Conference|
|Location||San Diego, California|
|Arena||Jenny Craig Pavilion |
|Colors||Navy, White, and Toreros Blue|
|NCAA Tournament Round of 32|
|NCAA Tournament Appearances|
|1984, 1987, 2003, 2008|
|Conference Tournament Champions|
|Conference Regular Season Champions|
The San Diego Toreros men's basketball team is a college basketball team that represents the University of San Diego in San Diego, California. The school's team currently competes in the West Coast Conference (WCC). The team played in the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament in 2008. The Toreros play their home games in the Jenny Craig Pavilion, and their head coach is Sam Scholl.
They won their first WCC title in 1984, when the conference was known as the West Coast Athletic Conference. The team was led by all-conference forward Mike Whitmarsh, who was a runner-up that year for the conference player of the year award. Their coach, Jim Brovelli, was named the conference coach of the year.
University of San Diego's biggest rival is San Diego State University. Since the 2001-2002 season the Toreros have been 3-12 against the Aztecs during the past 15 seasons, but led the series 10-9 prior to that (SDSU leads 13-21 all-time). The last Toreros win coming during the 2018-19 season at SDSU. They also won against them during a game at Petco Park during the 2012-13 season where one of four games since 2011 to be played outside. The game took place at Petco Park and is the first time the park has hosted a basketball game. The Toreros won 53-48.
College admissions scandal
Lamont Smith, who coached the team from 2015-2018, was accused of accepting a bribe as part of the 2019 college admissions bribery scandal while he was coach of the team, allegedly illegally helping a Beverly Hills real estate developer's children gain admission to the university.
NCAA tournament results
The Toreros have appeared in four NCAA Tournaments. Their combined record is 1–4.
|1984||Preliminary Round||Princeton||L 56–65|
|1987||First Round||Auburn||L 61–62|
|2003||First Round||Stanford||L 69–77|
The Toreros have appeared in the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) once, in 2019.
|2019||First Round||Memphis||L 60-74|
The Toreros have appeared in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT) two times. Their combined record is 4–2.
Sam Houston State
Record by coach
Results by Season, Last 10 Years
2018–2019 (21–14) (7–9 Conference)
2017–2018 (20–14) (9–9 Conference)
2016–2017 (13–18) (6–12 Conference)
2015–2016 (9–21) (4–14 Conference)
2014–2015 (15–16) (8–10 Conference)
2013–2014 (18–17) (7–11 Conference)
2012–2013 (16–18) (7–9 Conference)
2011–2012 (13–18) (7–9 Conference)
2010–2011 (6–24) (2–12 Conference)
2009–2010 (11–21) (3–11 Conference)
Toreros in the NBA
- Stan Washington
- Eric Musselman
- Mike Brown
- Bernie Bickerstaff
- David Fizdale
- James Borrego
- Chris Grant
- "Color Palette - USD Brand - University of San Diego". Retrieved February 11, 2018.
- Canepa, Michael (December 3, 1984). "Year later, Whitmarsh looks forward and back". Evening Tribune. p. D-1.
- "San Diego State Aztecs Basketball 2015-16 Schedule - Aztecs Home and Away - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "San Diego State to play San Diego at Petco Park". Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "San Diego State Aztecs Basketball 2015-16 Schedule - Aztecs Home and Away". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "UTEP, former San Diego coach Lamont Smith implicated in college admissions scandal"
- "UTEP assistant basketball coach resigns, implicated in college admissions scandal". KTSM. March 21, 2019. Retrieved March 21, 2019.
- Ziegler, Mark; Davis, Kristina (March 21, 2019). "Lamont Smith identified as USD coach in bribery scheme; resigns as UTEP assistant". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 21, 2019.