San Diego Unified School District
|San Diego Unified School District|
|4100 Normal Street,
San Diego, California
|Grades||Preschool - 12|
|Established||July 1, 1854|
|Superintendent||Cindy Marten (effective 2/27/13)|
|Students and staff|
|Website||San Diego Unified School District|
San Diego Unified School District (also known as San Diego City Schools) is the school district and a land investment corporation based in San Diego, California. It was founded in 1854. As of 2005 it represents over 200 institutions and has over 15,800 employees. The average teacher in the district makes around $67,000 a year, with a benefit package worth around $24,000 a year. The district includes 113 elementary schools, 24 middle schools, 4 atypical schools, 10 alternative schools, 27 high schools and 25 charter schools.
The district is governed by a five-member elected Board of Education. Board members are elected by district for four-year terms. As of December 2014 the school board members are: Michael McQuary, Kevin Beiser, John Lee Evans, Richard Barrera, and Marne Foster.
The superintendent is appointed by the school board. From 2010 through 2013 the superintendent was Bill Kowba, a retired Navy rear admiral. On February 26, 2013, Kowba announced his retirement effective June 30. The next day, February 27, the school board unanimously appointed elementary school principal Cindy Marten as the new superintendent. The quick appointment, without a search process or community input, was described as "highly unusual - virtually unheard of" by the San Diego Union Tribune.
Senior High Schools
General graduation requirements: students must earn a total of 44 credits in grades 9 through 12.
Atypical and alternative schools
- High Schools of San Diego, for private schools and public schools outside of the district.
- Hall, Peter M. (1 January 1997). Race, Ethnicity, and Multiculturalism: Policy and Practice. Taylor & Francis. p. 118. ISBN 978-0-8153-2442-3.
- Will Carless (4 February 2013). "What the Average San Diego Teacher Makes: Fact Check". Voice of San Diego. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Board Members". San Diego Unified School District. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "San Diego Unified School District Superintendent Bill Kowba to retire". ABC 10 News. February 27, 2013. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "SDUSD Names New Superintendent". 7 San Diego. February 28, 2013. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Magee, Maureen (February 27, 2013). "Board picks principal as Unified's new leader". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved 1 March 2013.