San Elijo Hills, San Marcos, California
This article does not cite any sources. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|San Elijo Hills, California|
Sunset in San Elijo Hills
|• Total||1,921 acres (777 ha)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT|
|Area code(s)||760, 442|
San Elijo Hills is a master-planned community in the southwest of San Marcos, California, built by San Elijo Hills Development Company, and managed by HomeFed Corporation. San Elijo is home to three of the largest schools in San Marcos Unified School District. Unlike the rest of San Marcos, San Elijo Hills has its own town center, featuring a clock tower, a fountain, a common area and rows of shops.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 Timeline
- 3 Education
- 4 Culture
- 5 Recreation
- 6 Photos
- 7 References
- 8 External links
In 1769, the Portola Expedition named the area San Alejo in honor of Saint Alexius. The term "Elijo" is an Anglo-Saxon misspelling of a proper name "Alejo." (The word "elijo" in Spanish means "to choose.")
- 1994 - 1,921 acres (3.002 sq mi) San Elijo Hills property purchased by The San Elijo Hills Development Company, planning commenced.
- 1997 - Overall plan approved by the San Marcos City Council.
- 2004 - San Elijo Middle School opened, with the elementary and middle schools sharing facilities for two years, until the completion of the elementary school.
- 2004 - San Elijo Park, a 19 acres (77,000 m2) city park, opened.
- 2004 - Peace Monument installed at the eastern entrance to the community’s town square on Sept. 11.
- 2006 - San Elijo Hills Elementary School completed.
- 2008 - Fire station opened in San Elijo Hills.
- 2009 - MarketWalk, a residential/retail project in the town center opened.
- 2009 - Double Peak Park opened.
- 2016 - Double peak k-8 opened
San Marcos Unified School District
California State University, San Marcos
The San Elijo Hills Homeowners Association organizes a number of community events, including a golf outing, Concert in the Square, Oktoberfest, Tree Lighting Ceremony, Independence Day Celebration, and Easter Egg Hunt.
Double Peak Park
Double Peak Park features a 150-seat concrete, terraced amphitheater for interpretive ranger talks, a group picnic shelter, individual picnic tables, an adventure play area, restrooms, a resident park ranger, and a parking lot.
San Elijo Hills Park
San Elijo Hills Park includes a soccer field, two baseball diamonds, picnic/barbecue areas, a children's water "sprayground", an enclosed dog park, jogging paths, and a plaza for large events. The park is also the main trailhead for a network of 18 miles (29 km) of trails. The park's Community Center, operated by the city of San Marcos, has facilities for classes, parties and special events.
San Elijo Hills has 18 miles (29 km) of trails that are popular for hiking, biking and horseback riding.
AYSO Region 1505
San Elijo Flyers
The San Elijo Flyers is a powered radio-controlled flying group for RC Plane and Helicopter enthusiasts.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to San Elijo Hills, California.|
- San Elijo Hills (Official)