San Esteban, Ilocos Sur
|Municipality of San Esteban|
Logo San Esteban
Map of Ilocos Sur with San Esteban highlighted
|Region||Ilocos Region (Region I)|
|Barangays||10 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Ray A. Elaydo|
|• Electorate||5,557 voters (2016)|
|• Total||19.62 km2 (7.58 sq mi)|
|• Density||430/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)77|
|Climate type||Tropical monsoon climate|
|Income class||5th municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||146,496,161.13 (2016)|
- San Nicolas
- San Pablo
- San Rafael
- Villa Quirino
The Spaniards named the pueblo (the equivalent of a municipality in present-day terms) San Esteban (formerly known as Cabagbagototan) because they have received reports of a vagabond named Iban having been stoned to death and beheaded by hostile natives in the place called "Naglawlawayan," which is an early place of worship by the natives, and currently the site of the municipal cemetery. "Iban" is the Ilocano equivalent of "Stephen," hence the pueblo being named San Esteban.
San Esteban was founded by Agustinian friars in 1625, but was always attached to Nueva Coveta (present-day Burgos) and to the municipality of Santiago until 1911. It was once a visita of Narvacan because of a shortage of ministers.
|Population census of San Esteban|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of San Esteban, Ilocos Sur, was 8,349 people, with a density of 430 inhabitants per square kilometre or 1,100 inhabitants per square mile.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Ilocos Sur". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Ilocos Sur". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.