San Francisco Bay Times
|Publisher||Betty Sullivan and Jennifer Viegas|
|Editor||Betty Sullivan and Jennifer Viegas|
and Oakland, California
The San Francisco Bay Times is a free bi-weekly LGBT newspaper in San Francisco, California that started as Coming Up! in 1978. Coming Up! was billed as "the gay lesbian newspaper and calendar of events for the Bay Area."
Founders of the San Francisco Bay Times in 1978 were Roland Schembari and Bill Hartman. Kim Corsaro served as editor and publisher from 1981 to 2011. The first issue of the paper states that the publication would be created jointly and equally by gay men and lesbians working together, and this goal has remained a key purpose of the paper continuing to the present.
In 1988, Coming Up! changed its name to San Francisco Bay Times. The name Coming Up! (which actually pre-dated by several months the release of the Paul McCartney song of the same name) now refers to the San Francisco Bay Times events calendar.
In June 2011, longtime publisher Kim Corsaro stepped down, with Betty Sullivan of LGBT listserve group Betty's List, and her partner Jennifer Viegas, taking over management of the paper.
The Bay Times provides news and information of interest to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community in the San Francisco Bay Area. It includes book and music reviews, lists upcoming events in the area in addition to art, entertainment and social issues of interest to readers including news on health and politics.
The San Francisco Bay Times is now the largest and oldest LGBT newspaper in San Francisco and Northern California that is 100% funded and owned by LGBT individuals. The paper's website as of March, 2017 has the highest ranking among all LGBT newspaper-related sites in the U.S. and the highest level of audience engagement on Facebook according to Facebook stats.
- "San Francisco Bay Times | LGBTQ News & Calendar for the Bay Area". sfbaytimes.com. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- "Lesbian and Gay Archives of New Zealand - Serials Holdings List" Retrieved on 2007-06-08.
- Sterling, R.; Gillespie, E. (2010). The Unofficial Guide to San Francisco. Wiley. p. 29. ISBN 9780470637241. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- Coming Up (song)
- "San Francisco Chronicle obituary of founder Roland Schembari (February 24, 2000)". sfgate.com. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- "The Bay Area Reporter Online | Questions raised over benefit for paper | Cynthia Laird, Bay Area Reporter (August 4, 2011)". ebar.com. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
|This article about a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender related newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a California newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|