|San Gregorio de Yaguate|
|• Total||121.81 km2 (47.03 sq mi)|
|• Density||760/km2 (2,000/sq mi)|
The town square has a basketball court and several churches. There is also the Ayuntamiento, the town hall. There is a small secondary school, a clinic, and a few small grocery stores, along with several bars. The region is filled with sugar cane fields, and nearby the town is a large sugar refinery called "Ingenio Caei."
The road heading north from the town leads through several small neighborhoods to the Nizao river. There are many sand mines in the area, as well as some very good swimming spots as the river is very clear. Farther up the road is the Valdesia Dam.
In 2003, the town suffered a flood that covered roughly half of the town. Missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints helped to rescue many people from the flood, although one person died, trapped behind a locked door.
- Michael Pineda, New York Yankees pitcher, selected for the 2011 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, was born January 18, 1989 in Yaguate.
- Jeurys Familia, New York Mets pitcher, was born October 10, 1989 in Yaguate.
- Nicober H. Moreno, radio broadcasting entrepreneur.
- Superficies a nivel de municipios, Oficina Nacional de Estadistica
- Censo 2012 de Población y Vivienda, Oficina Nacional de Estadistica
- Oficina Nacional de Estadistica, Departamento de Cartografia, Division de Limites y Linderos. "Listado de Codigos de Provincias, Municipio y Distritos Municipales, Actualizada a Junio 20 del 2006" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-01-24.
|This Dominican Republic location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|