San José Public Library
|Location||150 E. San Fernando Street
San Jose, California
|Access and use|
|Circulation||10.49 million items|
|Budget||$37 million USD|
|Director||Jill Bourne, City Librarian|
The San José Public Library is the public library system of San José, California.
Its central library, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, is also the main library of the San José State University. Built in 2003, King Library is the first joint use library in the United States shared by a major university as its only library and a large city as its main library. It has more than 1.6 million items. The building has eight floors that result in more than 475,000 square feet (44,100 m2) of space with a capacity for 2 million volumes.
The city has 23 neighborhood branches including the Biblioteca Latinoamericana which specializes in Spanish language works. The East San José Carnegie Branch Library, a Carnegie library opened in 1908, is the last Carnegie library in Santa Clara County still operating as a public library and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. As the result of a bond measure passed in November 2000, a number of brand new or completely reconstructed branches have been completed and opened. The brand new Village Square Branch Village Square Branch is under construction, bringing the bond library project to its completion.
The San José system (along with the University system) were jointly named as "Library of the Year" by the Library Journal in 2004.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
- Dr. Roberto Cruz - Alum Rock
- Biblioteca Latinoamericana
- East S.J. Carnegie
- Educational Park
- Joyce Ellington
- Pearl Avenue
- Rose Garden
- Santa Teresa
- Tully Community
- Willow Glen
- West Valley
- SJ Library MLK History page (Mentions joint university/city status, collection size and uniqueness of project.)
- Locations page at SJ Library site(See BL article for its references.)
- Bond Projects for Branch Libraries page at the SJ Library site
- San Jose Public Library - Facts & Awards "In 2004, San José Public Library and San José State University Library were jointly named Library of the Year by the Library Journal."
- "Locations & Hours -- System Map." SJPL.org. Retrieved on January 16, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to San José Public Library.|
- SJLibrary.org - portal website of the San José Public Library and the San José State University Library